Cheers

Wapask

Hello Gents and possibly ladies.

I don't even know where to begin... I was a member of The Smokers Forums many many years ago, how many I don't even remember. I believe I was in my early to mid 20s, being 36 now, it had to be some time ago. I was never a very active member so most probably wouldn't remember me I mostly chimed in here and there and used the forums to read and learn. My name is Jonathan though Jon is fine, Wapask is the Native American Cree word for Polar Bear and that is my username here. I honestly cannot remember what my old username was many years ago on an older version of these forums.

I had smoked a pipe for some years and built my own little collection I was happy with, learning on the forums as I went, until a crazy ex decided one day while I was out of town due to work, to burn all of my pipe collection in a bonfire and poof, that was it. All my pipes, my tobacco and everything, even a custom Birthday pipe I had commissioned for myself from an American pipe maker named Tim Thorpe. I came back home to find that I only had the two cobs I had taken with me on my three day trip were what was left.

Needless to say when I found out about this she was quickly booted from my life, I was pissed off and never really got back into the pipe life. I went back to cigarettes and was there for some years. Recently I decided I wanted to pick up the pipe again so I went online to look up my favorites and make a few orders and my heart was broken, a few times.

First off, I learned that my two favorite blends were no longer in production, McClellands Frog Morton and their green tin Oriental Mixture no. 6, in fact the whole company had closed shop... heart broke a bit... then I go to search out some of the pipes I remember loving, specifically the fire orange Stanwell Canadian and Bulldog designs I had which were two of my favorites... and boom, another kick to the pills. Then I learned Frenchys pipes is no more and that made me sad as well, anyone remember when he closed up shop? That would help me pin point how long it has been for me since I enjoyed a good bowl.

Fast forward two days and I come across this forum to browse as a guest to find Ed Anderson and John Patton have left this world in the physical form... my god. :cry: :cry: :cry:

So I have ordered myself 4 MM cobs and a advertised "Smoked once" estate Peterson System 304 Ebony from Etsy to get things going. Ordered some odds and ends from 4noggins (which I learned is also under new ownership) along with some English tobacco blends, nothing too major, just something to get myself started again.

Nice to be here, hope everyone is doing well.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Welcome. Cobs are pretty much all I smoke.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

mrpipster wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:43 pm Welcome. Cobs are pretty much all I smoke.
Frenchys was awesome . Ya know , its been a good while since he's out that I cant even remember what happened . But yeah , its been a good while . McClelland was a heart breaker big time and Middletons is just about done in as well . Thankfully , PSF is still going and its a group of pipe smokers , some from way back in the day . We'll probably be here till the end of the internet :)

Great inro and welcome aboard / back :thumbs:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Wapask

@Ruffinogold thank you for the warm welcome. Yes it was some time ago for sure. I was wondering, would you have any suggestions or know of blends very similar to the above mentioned McClelland blends to seek out and try?
Wildcat
Codger in Training

@Wapask welcome and welcome back!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
ncrobb
Founding Member

Wow, welcome from NC. If there are good subs Ruffingold and the guys here can point you to them.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Welcome back
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Welcome back friend. What a journey you have had. Glad you found your way back here. If you really need McCleland, theres a lot on the secondary market. You will pay for it though. Standard is probably $100 for the large tin.
Silver
Certified Codger

Welcome!
Middle Earth

Greetings and Salutations from the Springfield Plateau