Wood working.

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Sort of a combination of wood and hdpe work today. Caulk on everything will keep the epoxy where I want it
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Mr Beardsley wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:44 pm I have a cheap Wen tracksaw and yesterday I changed the blade on it to a 56t Oshlun fespro series. Holy game changer batman, it made a good saw great. I'm of course using it to square up the back edge of the shelves I'm working on, 2 of which are just thick enough to get a floating bracket from Sheppard. @Tsal turned me on to them and man are they nice. I think they will be plenty simple for a customer to be able to hang successfully once I handle the hard part of fitting them.

Fairly clear and sunny here today so I think I'll finish an olive ashtray for a buddy of mine that hooks me up with all my tech needs (like the computer on the wall of my garage) and I'm hoping to get good photos of the entry / sofa table so I can get it listed (gonna cost a fortune to ship. Wish that was a local sale) and also modify the long rosewood shelf I made to hold 1/4-20 inserts so that it could be shipped as well and easily assembled by a buyer. Kicking my own ass for not doing it in the beginning
Sheppard brackets are the bees knees. I have two two inch floaters 10ft long in my kitchen that I can lay on that will not budge. Super easy to install.
The Troll Whisperer
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Tsal wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:26 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:44 pm I have a cheap Wen tracksaw and yesterday I changed the blade on it to a 56t Oshlun fespro series. Holy game changer batman, it made a good saw great. I'm of course using it to square up the back edge of the shelves I'm working on, 2 of which are just thick enough to get a floating bracket from Sheppard. @Tsal turned me on to them and man are they nice. I think they will be plenty simple for a customer to be able to hang successfully once I handle the hard part of fitting them.

Fairly clear and sunny here today so I think I'll finish an olive ashtray for a buddy of mine that hooks me up with all my tech needs (like the computer on the wall of my garage) and I'm hoping to get good photos of the entry / sofa table so I can get it listed (gonna cost a fortune to ship. Wish that was a local sale) and also modify the long rosewood shelf I made to hold 1/4-20 inserts so that it could be shipped as well and easily assembled by a buyer. Kicking my own ass for not doing it in the beginning
Sheppard brackets are the bees knees. I have two two inch floaters 10ft long in my kitchen that I can lay on that will not budge. Super easy to install.
The neighbors mantel I made is on a Sheppard as well and they really are awesome. He's now making brackets with a 3/4" backplate for thinner shelves and that's what I'm going to do for 2 of the 3 for sure. The one that's staying here may get traditional supports just because it's barely 1" thick. In a holding pattern until I order them and they arrive because they get drilled and then mortised for the actual bracket to slip into and I don't have the drill guide for the small plate
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:04 pm
Tsal wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:26 pm

The neighbors mantel I made is on a Sheppard as well and they really are awesome. He's now making brackets with a 3/4" backplate for thinner shelves and that's what I'm going to do for 2 of the 3 for sure. The one that's staying here may get traditional supports just because it's barely 1" thick. In a holding pattern until I order them and they arrive because they get drilled and then mortised for the actual bracket to slip into and I don't have the drill guide for the small plate
Drill guides are a must. I got ambitious and decided to start a smaller shelf and the holes seemed on the money until I mounted the bracket to the studs. I couldn't push the shelf flush to the wall, I had to free drill. It wasn't fun.
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

The ten footers went on like butter!Image
The Troll Whisperer
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Tsal wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:24 pm The ten footers went on like butter!Image
So slick! I shot a 2 1/2" stinger top & bottom into every stud. I could probably hang my fat ass from the bracket
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

My epoxy pour today did not go off without a hitch. In a stupid decision I moved the mold outside to the patio and it caused the sealant to leak (because nothing really sticks to hdpe) but I fired up a hot glue gun and absolutely poured it on in the mold. Think I slowed it enough for success. Running a black liquid tint for a smoked look along with a couple of mica pigments for character
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ash tops are flattened (again) and I decided to do some black acacia bowties in them as well.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:07 pm Ash tops are flattened (again) and I decided to do some black acacia bowties in them as well.
Do the bowties serve a purpose other than being decorative?
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Wildcat
Codger in Training

MikeDennison wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:55 am
Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:07 pm Ash tops are flattened (again) and I decided to do some black acacia bowties in them as well.
Do the bowties serve a purpose other than being decorative?
I believe the bowties are holding the cracks/splits together if you will. Like a dovetail joint. But I'm no woodworker...
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom