Tinned Seafood (and other deliciousness)

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Kevin Keith wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:28 am I had sardines in mustard for breakfast, hold the crackers.
Were they packed in water or oil? I am of mixed minds on this subject. I like both.

I think that with mustard sans crackers, I would go with water sardines. I will never complain about sardines in olive oil, but they seem, to me (maybe only to me) more suited to pairing with olives.

Sardines and mustard for breakfast. I know what I'm having tomorrow. Sardines packed in water.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Citizen B wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:14 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:28 am I had sardines in mustard for breakfast, hold the crackers.
Were they packed in water or oil? I am of mixed minds on this subject. I like both.

I think that with mustard sans crackers, I would go with water sardines. I will never complain about sardines in olive oil, but they seem, to me (maybe only to me) more suited to pairing with olives.

Sardines and mustard for breakfast. I know what I'm having tomorrow. Sardines packed in water.
Neither water nor oil, packed in mustard sauce. I have a lot of Chicken of the Sea sardines I got on sale. Product of Poland, so you know they’re good for you and pure, mostly.

FJB
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

Sardines! I average a tin or two per week. Usually King Oscar or one of the other quality brands. The cheap ones taste like arse. Out of the tin and into a bowl. Adding whichever hot sauce I grab first. By the time I think about crackers they're usually gone.

There are always anchovies in the cupboard as well. I bought some kippers a couple weeks ago but haven't opened them yet.
ever forward
ncrobb
Founding Member

I remember when I was a kid going to my grandparents house and sometimes my grandpa would be eating his lunch of sardines and crackers on the front porch. I asked him why and he said “Because I love your grandmother”. She hated the smell. My dad loved canned mackerel with vinegar.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Have you ever eaten that canned salmon with the skin and the bones? They are vertebrae, big ones. The bones are soft like peas---they pop when you bite them. My grandfather loved canned salmon because of the bones. They were his favorite part.

I like the tinned inexpensive canned salmon, the kind in a tall can, but I can't say I am a big fan of the bones. They're okay but a little of them goes a long way. I eat them for nostalgia's sake.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Kevin Keith wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:52 pm
Product of Poland, so you know they’re good for you and pure, mostly.

I will never eat tinned fish out of China. Thailand and the Philippines? Yes.

Poles know their sardines. Solidarity.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Has anyone ever tried tunafish in a can? It's fabulous.
The Troll Whisperer
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

FJB
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Tsal wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:32 pm Has anyone ever tried tunafish in a can? It's fabulous.
Get out! They can do that now?
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Wildcat wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:07 am
Tsal wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:32 pm Has anyone ever tried tunafish in a can? It's fabulous.
Get out! They can do that now?
According to Starkist, they can!
The Troll Whisperer