Foraging

Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Poke salet. The wife loves it, I hate it. I do not hunt the mushrooms as some of my friends do. It is directly contrary to my plans to live to be a hundred. Wild blackberries, raspberries, gooseberries, persimmons, paw-paws, and blueberries are high on my forage list although I don't get out as much as I used to. When I was able to hunt just about anything was fair game. A holdover from my childhood in the Appalachians, I guess. I miss venison.
Riff89

Lostdog5152 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:50 am Poke salet. The wife loves it, I hate it. I do not hunt the mushrooms as some of my friends do. It is directly contrary to my plans to live to be a hundred. Wild blackberries, raspberries, gooseberries, persimmons, paw-paws, and blueberries are high on my forage list although I don't get out as much as I used to. When I was able to hunt just about anything was fair game. A holdover from my childhood in the Appalachians, I guess. I miss venison.
I love blackberries they are probably my favorite berry. I used to despise picking them when I was a kid my grandparents were big time berry pickers and I’d get sent into the thick of the patch to get the good ones for them Then I’d usually get yelled at for eating more than I put in the bucket. Great memories now but at the time It felt like torture lol. Now I would have to say wild blueberries are the worst to pick being bent over picking all day kills my back lol. My neighbors have four or five big high bush blueberry bushes that they let us pick so I don’t do as much wild blueberry picking as I did before they moved in lol.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Man when you guys said Chicken of the Woods I was thinking squirrel. I had to google it. Squirrel is good stuff
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Piping Abe wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:48 pm Man when you guys said Chicken of the Woods I was thinking squirrel. I had to google it. Squirrel is good stuff
Yeah it is
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Ronv69
Founding Member

Piping Abe wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:48 pm Man when you guys said Chicken of the Woods I was thinking squirrel. I had to google it. Squirrel is good stuff
Tasty tree rats!
God and Texas!
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Ronv69 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:05 pm
Tasty tree rats!
Ain't they tho!!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I bought a .410 just for that reason.
The Troll Whisperer
Riff89

Tsal wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:01 am
I bought a .410 just for that reason.
Some of the biggest squirrels I’ve ever seen were in Princeton NJ which is also the first place I’d ever seen black squirrels lol. That place is loaded with tasty tree rats! I did a double take when I say the black ones run up a tree!
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

I hunted squirrels all my life since I was old enough to carry a gun. I lost my taste for them somehow several years ago so I stopped hunting them. I think rabbit is a more delicate and flavorsome critter. You don't have to be quiet and listening to the Beagle music is a big plus. Besides that, your canine hunting buddy can lay on the couch and watch TV with you after supper.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Lostdog5152 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:17 am I hunted squirrels all my life since I was old enough to carry a gun. I lost my taste for them somehow several years ago so I stopped hunting them. I think rabbit is a more delicate and flavorsome critter. You don't have to be quiet and listening to the Beagle music is a big plus. Besides that, your canine hunting buddy can lay on the couch and watch TV with you after supper.
Thr red squirrels taste the best and rabbits I ate my fair share of too. Delicious.
The Troll Whisperer