Foraging

Riff89

Ronv69 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:50 am We don't have those in the south. Sounds a bit like asparagus?
Yes. They are sort of like asparagus green beans and spinach had a love child. It’s often called swamp asparagus around here.
Ronv69
Founding Member

Riff89 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:16 pm
Ronv69 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 11:50 am We don't have those in the south. Sounds a bit like asparagus?
Yes. They are sort of like asparagus green beans and spinach had a love child. It’s often called swamp asparagus around here.
We have a lot of swamps around here, but the stuff in them will eat YOU! 😁
God and Texas!
Riff89

Ronv69 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:58 pm
And that my friend is why I live in New Hampshire. I’ll deal with the cold winters if it means I don’t have to constantly watch out for snakes spiders and gators. We have a tiny population of rattle snakes but up in my neck of the woods you’d sooner see Bigfoot than step on a rattlesnake.
goldbrick

:clap:
Silver wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:50 pm I only forage in my tobacco cellar. ;)
:clap:
Ronv69
Founding Member

Riff89 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:50 pm
Ronv69 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:58 pm

And that my friend is why I live in New Hampshire. I’ll deal with the cold winters if it means I don’t have to constantly watch out for snakes spiders and gators. We have a tiny population of rattle snakes but up in my neck of the woods you’d sooner see Bigfoot than step on a rattlesnake.
Bigfoot sightings are a common thing around here. I like New Hampshire. Cute little state. We drove across it and Vermont twice in a day. 😁😉🤠
God and Texas!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Tsal wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:14 pm
Riff89 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:13 pm
Tsal wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:57 pm

NJ is loaded with huge squirrels but the only problem is they are in residential areas where you can't hunt. Then again walking to your yard and picking them off takes the fun out of hunting.
It does but… it doesn’t take the fun out of eating them lol.
No it does not. Lol... but one bang and the police will be around shortly after.
Sling Shot :thumbs:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Its getting close to the Shantrel's popping ... July is when they do their thing I believe
CoreyR
Founding Member

I used to forage berries, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries.
As my legs are getting worse and worse, and with other concerns, I have planted all three in my 5 acres. Now "foraging" consists of cutting the grass around the plants, trellising and trimming canes. Oh, and watering the blueberries. Those take lots of water for good production.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

CoreyR wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:36 am I used to forage berries, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries.
As my legs are getting worse and worse, and with other concerns, I have planted all three in my 5 acres. Now "foraging" consists of cutting the grass around the plants, trellising and trimming canes. Oh, and watering the blueberries. Those take lots of water for good production.
Omg .. Blue Berries . I need to plant those . I cant think of why I havent yet
CoreyR
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:46 pm
CoreyR wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:36 am
Omg .. Blue Berries . I need to plant those . I cant think of why I havent yet
They are amazingly easy to grow IF you have the soil for it. I do not here so I plant mine in very large pots, with formulated soil that I cooked up myself, compost and a timed Irrigation system.
Amazingly, blackberries have been the hardest to get established. I always thought those things would grow anywhere. I can get the vines to grow but they do not produce that well, thus far.
My raspberries produce like mad but I do not yet have enough vines. I am working with transplanting the voluntary shoots each year and increasing my yield.