Broken Pipe: Doug Erwin (DGErwin)

Hey Sparky
Founding Member

Yesterday I noticed that Doug Erwin passed away over the weekend (Saturday 5/7). He was in the hospital when he passed. He had been in some poor health, but no exact details were given on what he died from.

I have a DGE cob that will be filled again today with some Carter Hall and smoked in his honor. RIP Doug
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I never fully interacted with Doug much but I did enjoy reading his posts on the forums. Seemed like a truly good dude and he will be missed
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 11:41 am I never fully interacted with Doug much but I did enjoy reading his posts on the forums. Seemed like a truly good dude and he will be missed
Minimal contact back in the old days, but he was funny and always good natured towards me. Sad.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Ronv69
Founding Member

I always liked Doug as a friend and pipe-improver, but not so much as a moderator. I will smoke my DGE Cob and think of him. RIP.
God and Texas!
sisyphus
Person of Interest

some weird bad feelings on both sides at the launch of the new forums, but I never wished him ill
Godspeed DGErwin, smoke some Carter Hall in heaven for us
I hope our names are touching on the watch list
Wildcat
Codger in Training

sisyphus wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:34 pm some weird bad feelings on both sides at the launch of the new forums, but I never wished him ill
Godspeed DGErwin, smoke some Carter Hall in heaven for us
@sisyphus you're a good man Charlie Brown
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Back in 2015 . I wish it were 2015 cause Doug would be around and I was 220 lb of muscle and strength

Doug was a good dude . He had a thing for George Will , which I never understood .. I think doug thought he was moderate ... anyway , I had the opportunity of hanging with him for lunch and an afternoon . He and I chatted alot at the old site , in regards to POY and those type things . He had cobs that looked like theyd been through world wars . He was a good cat in person and thats what its all about . We had fun during the " mayor " campaign .. Ive got good memories of Doug . My God bless him and his family
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
ncrobb
Founding Member

Wow. I just saw this. He made a one off cob for me many years ago, the “CuttyLov”, by just canting the bowl a bit. When I asked him about making it he said something to the effect that he would glue the bowl on upside down if that is what I wanted. I replied that a simple rotation of the Pipe 180 degrees would result in the bowl being in the correct position. He said, nope it’ll always be glued in upside down. I didn’t want to argue the point because I did want the CuttyLov.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Wildcat
Codger in Training

ncrobb wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:08 pm Wow. I just saw this. He made a one off cob for me many years ago, the “CuttyLov”, by just canting the bowl a bit. When I asked him about making it he said something to the effect that he would glue the bowl on upside down if that is what I wanted. I replied that a simple rotation of the Pipe 180 degrees would result in the bowl being in the correct position. He said, nope it’ll always be glued in upside down. I didn’t want to argue the point because I did want the CuttyLov.
Got a pic?
ncrobb
Founding Member

Wildcat wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:19 am
ncrobb wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:08 pm Wow. I just saw this. He made a one off cob for me many years ago, the “CuttyLov”, by just canting the bowl a bit. When I asked him about making it he said something to the effect that he would glue the bowl on upside down if that is what I wanted. I replied that a simple rotation of the Pipe 180 degrees would result in the bowl being in the correct position. He said, nope it’ll always be glued in upside down. I didn’t want to argue the point because I did want the CuttyLov.
Got a pic?
Not great but it’s one I had. She’s a good smoker.

“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett