Reginal Beer back in the day

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Citizen B wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:53 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 5:38 pm Huh. I guess Coors was regional then. Big region!
I think it was limited to states that didn't have the Missippi River running through them. This is ancient history so I may be misremembering. I remember when Coors was finally available in stores and bars on the East Coast. Most people I knew at the time found this event to be much ado about nothing.

Coors had its cachet as a forbidden brew back in the day, when I was growing up. Now it is nothing special because it is everywhere.
lol .. yeah , when I tried Coors ... I wasnt impressed . They had one called Coors Golden Extra [ gues they were MB smokers ] and that one was decent
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Puff nstuff

Out on the West Coast the beers that I remember seeing a lot of as a kid were Coors and Olympia. We had Brew 102 made in Los Angeles until around 1974, and you'd see other brands from other parts of the country too, like Hamm's and Busch. I also remember when Michelob and Lowenbrau were marketed as upscale beers that were supposedly higher in quality. Then along came Henry Weinhard's, and that actually did seem like a step up. Dad drank all of these.
When I was in college most of the kids drank the cheapest beer they could get their hands on, and that's when I became aware of brands like Schaefer, Lucky Lager, Old Milwaukee, PBR, and others; Rolling Rock came along a bit later. We also started seeing some of the big Mexican brands around the early 80's, Carta Blanca, Superior, Tecate, and Pacifico. I still enjoy Pacifico.
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ours was a mostly coors house growing up. Later on when light beers came out it was coors light in a can, bud light if buying bottles (I dunno, dad says it tasted better) Any time we'd visit my dad's family in Kansas it was PBR because it was a union brewery back then and later it was Miller lite for the same reason.

In the late 60's when my dad was in the USMC he actually wrote coors to try to get them to ship him a pallet overseas. They replied that they'd love to but because of regional laws it wasn't a possibility. They did send a bunch of passes for them to go to the brewery and take a tour when they got back stateside (which they did) and that's the root of the reason we have always been coors fans
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Puff nstuff

Kevin Keith wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:37 pm No regional beers in West Texas. The only two beers I remember anybody ever drinking were Coors Banquet and Budweiser. I know there were a few others thrown in there. I do remember the Mexican beer Carta Blanca being pretty popular.
No Lone Star beer in your parts back in the day?
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Puff nstuff wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:26 pm
Kevin Keith wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 12:37 pm No regional beers in West Texas. The only two beers I remember anybody ever drinking were Coors Banquet and Budweiser. I know there were a few others thrown in there. I do remember the Mexican beer Carta Blanca being pretty popular.
No Lone Star beer in your parts back in the day?
Nobody I knew liked it much, I guess. At least they weren’t drinking it. We were Texans, and we knew it… We didn’t have anything to prove buy drinking a beer with our own name on it! 🤣

And that does jog my memory. There was also Pearl Beer, brewed in San Antonio, again not many people that I associated with drank Pearl.

I suppose that Shiner is a regional beer, at least most of their varieties are not available in most of the country. I know Shiner Bock is fairly widely distributed.
When I was growing up and a young adult in West Texas I never heard of Shiner and never seen it. I suppose it was more distributed in the southern part of the state. It’s growth and popularity is kind of a modern day phenomenon I’d say but I could be wrong.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Silver
Certified Codger

In Michigan, Stroh's and Altes were the popular local brands. There were a few others, like Goebel, Pfeiffer, Drewry's, Meister Brau and Black Label, to mention a few.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

When I was a kid, I collected beer cans. It was a thing to do back then. The prizes of my collection were cans of Old Frothingslosh, which, at that time, featured a BBW in a bathing suit in a black-and-white tinotype on the can.

Beer out of Pennsylvania is always good, even when it uses the novelty factor to sell its suds. Consider Yeungling, which is pretty much a national brand as far as I can determine.

-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
kschatey

Little Kings
Weidemanns
Old Style
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Ballantine, Newark NJ.
The Troll Whisperer
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Tsal wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:49 pm Ballantine, Newark NJ.
Ballantine XXX Ale. Goooood stuff! Seriously. Good.

I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom