What Are Your Favorite Breakfast Cereals?

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Kevin Keith wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:18 am
Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:22 pm Cinnamon Toast Crunch
Chex (any variety but corn was probably my favorite)
Grape Nuts
Lucky Charms
Raisin Bran
Do you put sugar in the Chex, Grape Nuts, and Raisin Bran?

Grape Nuts is a favorite if mine too. My step-dad ate them in unsweetened apple juice instead of milk. Not flooded with it, just enough to cover the cereal then it would absorb the juice. Where the hell he ever got that idea I do not know, but I tried it and it’s pretty damn good!
I tried them with sugar when I was younger but came to the conclusion that I preferred them as is. I also really like putting grape nuts on yogurt. The unsweetened apple juice idea is new to me but I could see it working!
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ronv69
Founding Member

Honey nut Cheerios
Post Raisin Bran
Grape Nuts
Shredded wheat.
And I'm Coocoo for Cocoa Puffs! Or Count Chocula
Last edited by Ronv69 on Thu May 19, 2022 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
God and Texas!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Oh man @Ronv69 i forgot about shredded wheat and frosted mini wheat. Those are both delicious
Ronv69
Founding Member

I remember as a kid my mom would give me these huge scrubbing pads. I eventually developed a taste for them.
God and Texas!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

:lol: same!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I will occasionally eat plain oatmeal. I just pour the hot water on the oats and let them sit for awhile. They are usually still a little crunchy in the middle by the time I eat them. I never let them soak long enough. I don't mind.

I can't remember the last time I had breakfast cereal like you guys are talking about. I am sure it was Raisin Bran. I like Raisin Bran.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Ronv69 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:19 am I remember as a kid my mom would give me these huge scrubbing pads. I eventually developed a taste for them.
When my mom gave us the big scrubbing pads of shredded weed I always thought, “ So this is what it is like eating a bale of hay. “. 🤣
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I have nothing to do today so I am going down memory lane. Bear with me. Thank you for your patience.

The last time I remember eating Raisin Bran was at a motel on the outskirts of New Bedford, Massachusetts, the Whaling City, where the tale of Moby Dick begins. It was a La Quinta or something, nothing special. You know the kind of motel I am talking about. There are a few off every interstate exit ramp. I wasn't in the hospitality business then so I couldn't write off the expense of staying in a really nice, old hotel downtown. My taste in hotels runs more toward the Ritz but we were on a cracker budget.

Anyhow, the second Mrs. King and I went to have complimentary continental breakfast at this motel on the first morning of our stay. I was in the U.S. Navy. I don't mind eating powdered eggs. 2nd Mrs. King was from Oklahoma. She would anything that wasn't fancy. Her palette for food was like mine is for tobacco.

The motel had those little, single serving boxes of cereal. Frosted Flakes, Apple Jacks, Cheerios, Rice Krispies, and Raisin Bran. I can see them all in front of me like it was yesterday.

I picked up a box of Raisin Bran and a glass of milk. Why not? When at La Quinta, do as La Quintans do.

"Aren't you going to use a bowl?" 2nd Mrs. King asked.

"What for?" I said.

Then, it got really interesting. I showed 2nd Mrs. King how to open the box and the bag and use them as a bowl for the milk. The bag is waxed, waterproof, that is what keeps the raisins and bran fresh. I was eating my Raisin Bran C-ration-style. This totally rocked 2nd Mrs. King's world.

The next morning we skipped breakfast in the lobby and, instead, we went to an old-school New England diner. It was called the Shawmut Diner. It is no longer in business. They had single serving boxes of breakfast cereal, too, behind the counter. The eggs at the Shawmut Diner were fresh and the conversation was convivial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawmut_Diner
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Chef Benny
Codger in Training

Kevin Keith wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:14 am
Chef Benny wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:55 am I am a huge APPLEJACKS fan!!
And you’re a professional chef, so I might need to think about giving Apple Jacks another look.

I liked them when I was a kid, and they were all orange or pink or whatever color they were…not green! And they had little bits of fake red apple stuck on the cereal.
They debuted as Apple O's in 1968.. and you are correct.. they were an orange color at first..in 1971 they changed the name to Apple Jacks. Then in 1998 they added the green colored ones. Make no mistake..the apple is real apple .. genuine freeze-dried Apple dust!
:lol: 🍎 🍏
~ Tobacco is part of a complete breakfast.
Ronv69
Founding Member

Citizen B wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:54 pm I have nothing to do today so I am going down memory lane. Bear with me. Thank you for your patience.

The last time I remember eating Raisin Bran was at a motel on the outskirts of New Bedford, Massachusetts, the Whaling City, where the tale of Moby Dick begins. It was a La Quinta or something, nothing special. You know the kind of motel I am talking about. There are a few off every interstate exit ramp. I wasn't in the hospitality business then so I couldn't write off the expense of staying in a really nice, old hotel downtown. My taste in hotels runs more toward the Ritz but we were on a cracker budget.

Anyhow, the second Mrs. King and I went to have complimentary continental breakfast at this motel on the first morning of our stay. I was in the U.S. Navy. I don't mind eating powdered eggs. 2nd Mrs. King was from Oklahoma. She would anything that wasn't fancy. Her palette for food was like mine is for tobacco.

The motel had those little, single serving boxes of cereal. Frosted Flakes, Apple Jacks, Cheerios, Rice Krispies, and Raisin Bran. I can see them all in front of me like it was yesterday.

I picked up a box of Raisin Bran and a glass of milk. Why not? When at La Quinta, do as La Quintans do.

"Aren't you going to use a bowl?" 2nd Mrs. King asked.

"What for?" I said.

Then, it got really interesting. I showed 2nd Mrs. King how to open the box and the bag and use them as a bowl for the milk. The bag is waxed, waterproof, that is what keeps the raisins and bran fresh. I was eating my Raisin Bran C-ration-style. This totally rocked 2nd Mrs. King's world.

The next morning we skipped breakfast in the lobby and, instead, we went to an old-school New England diner. It was called the Shawmut Diner. It is no longer in business. They had single serving boxes of breakfast cereal, too, behind the counter. The eggs at the Shawmut Diner were fresh and the conversation was convivial.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawmut_Diner
How many Mrs Kings are extant?
God and Texas!