The Dr. Grabow Appreciation thread.

Jlando19

I had this idea the other day to start a “show your Grabow” thread. @Kevin Keith said he thought it was a good idea and as @Fr_Tom pointed out every month is Grabow month here. I know we’ve all seen one or two of each other’s Grabows in the What are you smoking threads. I figured here we could either show off our entire collection or show them one at a time ( may be the more interesting option if we give a little show and tell for each). Since it was my idea and most of these pipes probably belonged to one of you at one point in time I’ll kick it off.

Again this is meant to be a Dr. Grabow appreciation thread. So include anything you want related to the brand. It’s a great American company with a lot of history wrapped up in it that some of you may already know. This is a great chance to have some of this info shared here for our members who may not.

Unbeknownst to me as of recently it’s pronounced Gray as in the color and Bow as in Bow tie. Grabow.

"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

This is fantastic. My contribution won't take much time since I'm down to 1 doc in the collection
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Mr Beardsley wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:21 pm This is fantastic. My contribution won't take much time since I'm down to 1 doc in the collection
I have an undisclosed number. One is unsmoked, but the shank drilling is so tight, I can't really get a pipe cleaner through. At some point I may send it off somewhere to get it opened up a little.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
Jlando19

Mr Beardsley wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:21 pm This is fantastic. My contribution won't take much time since I'm down to 1 doc in the collection
Awesome! Let’s see it. Haha.
Jlando19

Fr_Tom wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 1:56 pm
I have an undisclosed number. One is unsmoked, but the shank drilling is so tight, I can't really get a pipe cleaner through. At some point I may send it off somewhere to get it opened up a little.
I have my notebook ready sir. I’ll be keeping count of your Grabow stash and making note of which pages the posts pop up on.
Jlando19

My Dr. Grabow collection currently makes up one fourth of my entire pipe collection. Hadn’t really noticed that until I got them all together.
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

Jlando19 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:21 pm
I have my notebook ready sir. I’ll be keeping count of your Grabow stash and making note of which pages the posts pop up on.
To make it harder to search, I actually do not list them as "Grabow." I will post "Westbrook pot," etc.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
kschatey

My one and only...

It's a Dr. Grabow Grand Duke estate that I just recently cleaned. The flowers really dressed it up, don't they?
Jlando19

Fr_Tom wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:52 pm
Jlando19 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:21 pm

To make it harder to search, I actually do not list them as "Grabow." I will post "Westbrook pot," etc.
We’ll if they are posted in this thread I will watch it like a Hawk!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

My sole remaining grabow. I even wiped the table off for this one.

I had a freehand that suffered a horrible death. The stem was cracked (I knew it was but I kept using it) and when it let loose the bowl fell to the ground and broke a chunk out of the front. The rest were given away here and there or sold in herd thinnings
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin