The Dr. Grabow Appreciation thread.

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Kevin Keith wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:16 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:58 pm Nice snag @Silver I may have a wacky Tru Grain showing up today. Has what appears to be a crack in the shank but I'm not worried. Starbond medium brown will probably fix it right up
Zip tie, baby!
Got plenty of those too
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Here's a couple of quick pictures of the Tru Grain that showed up today. Needs a little work but it's doable. Sorry if the pictures are huge
ImageImageImage
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Kevin Keith wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:16 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:58 pm Nice snag @Silver I may have a wacky Tru Grain showing up today. Has what appears to be a crack in the shank but I'm not worried. Starbond medium brown will probably fix it right up
Zip tie, baby!
Bling bling for pipes!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Chef Benny wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:09 am PRE DOCTOR GRABOW LINKMAN. (1927)

It's important to know that M. Linkman's pipe company existed for many years before the first Doctor Grabow pipes came about. There are many different model names for early Linkman's pre Grabow... like the Virginian, The Nuvo, the Sinbad.. there are too many to list. The company was experimenting with various different Logos on there pipes, and this star logo is one of my favorites. The Spade wouldn't come along until several years later.

This pipe here was an early production of the General Dawes pipe that was made famous at the time by Lyons Pipe company of Chicago. General Dawes was the 30th Vice president of the US, and he was known for smoking this odd shaped pipe. Louis Linkman was trying to find his "gimmick" pipe at the time, and he was working hard inventing and filing for patents on various stinger devices.

LINKMAN Nuvo Well Maria MLC Italian Briar
ImageImageImageImageImage
I have this version in the Kaywoodie from about the same era . The difference is the kaywoodie is a Block Meer insert that secures in with thin leather around the diameter of the top inside of the chamber . What sucks is , I seperated it from my Kaywoodies and put it somewhere to work on and forgot where I put it :lol: .. if I had a memory , Id be dangerous
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Chef Benny
Codger in Training

DR. GRABOW SALESMAN SAMPLE
(Late 1940s)

The tiniest Dr. Grabow pipe to ever exist ....

About 3.5 inches.. fully functional.. has adjustomatic stem and a pointed stinger.
Marked Dr. Grabow - Imported Briar.
Not much else is known about her. I am guessing that this was used as a salesman sample in the late 1940s.

I have pictured it with some common items so you can get an idea of the size. I put it next to the Grabow "Big Pipe" as a comparison.

This is the only one of these I have ever seen.
I think it's pretty damn cool! 😆

Cheers!

~ Tobacco is part of a complete breakfast.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Chef Benny wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:08 am DR. GRABOW SALESMAN SAMPLE
(Late 1940s)

About 3.5 inches.. fully functional.. has adjustomatic stem and a pointed stinger.
Not much else is known about her. I am guessing that this was used as a salesman sample in the late 1940s.

I have pictured it with some common items so you can get an idea of the size. I put it next to the Grabow "Big Pipe" as a comparison.

Cheers!

The original crack pipe !

Nah , its cool , man .. enjoy :thumbs:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

(Late 1940s)

Cheers!

These are neat, thanks Benny! I came across some Lane/Sparta era miniature salesman samples and sent them on to Ed James / Ozark Southpaw years ago.

This is as good a time as any to say it again... I miss Ed.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

(Late 1940s)

Cheers!

Smoke it!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Far from good but good from afar. Cleaned up the Tru Grain and got a (ugly) button on the stem
ImageImage
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:57 pm Far from good but good from afar. Cleaned up the Tru Grain and got a (ugly) button on the stem
ImageImage
That looks great, button included!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!