The Medico appreciation thread

kschatey

kschatey wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:41 pm I only have one and it's a prince (my favorite shape) via the Medico mail-in offer...

Away
Given what others are laying down around here for what's in their collection, I felt the need to pretty up the picture a bit for my lonely little Medico pipe.

Wildcat
Codger in Training

kschatey wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:41 pm I only have one and it's a prince (my favorite shape) via the Medico mail-in offer...

I had at one time a KW Redroot that looked just like that. It was a great clencher, once I clipped the stinger. My apologies to any and all KW purists.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Wildcat wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:02 pm
Citizen B wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:45 pm
Wildcat wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:42 pm Not a Medico left here at the litterbox. The last one now lives with @Citizen B , unless it's moved on again.
Hmmm. It is not on this desk. It may be in my other office, in the house. I don't smoke in the house and usually only keep the showpieces in there that I want to save for when I finally deserve to feel like a millionaire instead of being a phony.

Remind me. Is it pipe-shaped?

The only Medico I smoke regularly is my original Cavalier from way back in the day. I am looking for it on this desk but I don't see it. The metal tenon became loose and I got tired of fiddling with it. I do remember that. It is probably in the house. Even if it has outlived its usefulness, I am sure I have kept it for nostalgic reasons---it was my first Medico, after all.

You never forget your first Medico. The briar is indestructible. That is why I kept smoking it so long. I can be rough on things.

If I still have it, it is rusticated and stained black. I didn't know the model but @Ruffinogold identified it in a moment. That is how I know it is a cavalier. (Don't worry, I double-checked. It is a Cavalier.)

Alternatively, I have has thrown it away in a fit of irrational anger that I do not remember.

I probably still have it but I haven't looked at in awhile. When I go to that pipe rack, I admire the beauties, not the workhorses from days gone by. That Medico Cavalier was a workhorse. I am rough on everything but I smoked it for years. It took a filter.

So, no photos of the Cavalier. Instead, plenty of Medico appreciation and fond memories recollected while I listen to the rain and smoke a Finck cigar.

If not for Medico, I would not be the pipe-smoker that I am today. I am not exaggerating. That pipe taught me a lot about technique. It was a good friend. That's how I know I didn't throw it away in a pique of rage. Every pipe has a story.
It's a Medico VFQ. You mentioned you admired it and I sent it your way unannounced.

If you like, in spite of my "less is more philosophy" of late, if you're not interested in it, I would be more than willing to pay the freight and have you send it back home. Give it a think or two and let me know.
PM me to remind me to take a look. I am not home right now and I will forget by the time I get back.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Puff nstuff

Here is the extent of my Medico 'collection,' unfortunately. As much as I enjoy both of these, I really should concentrate on finding a few more of them! Up top is my wonderful Medico offer pipe, a dark red Cavalier-ish egg, and below is the wee dublin I picked up from ebay. I cherish them both. Great smokers.
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Hawkwood wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:12 am Thought I'd do a Medico thread. Here's mine. OlderImageand newerImage
I love every one of them :awesome: :thumbs:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Chef Benny wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:36 am Here are my Medico pipes..

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
I love the look of a filigree Medico. Very mid century, which is what I’m all about. Very nice bunch!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I have these four:

A Ventilator. I got this unsmoked from Etsy

A VFQ. Thanks again @Thelonious monkfish for this great pipe

A Kensington. I bought this one from Greywoodie

And last but not least, a panel billiard. Thanks @Ruffinogold

They are all good smoking pipes but I gotta tell you, my favorite thing about Medicos, at least since the 1960s, is the nylon stems. I really like the gripability of these stems, so comfortable to use.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Kevin Keith wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:18 pm
rekamepip wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:52 pm I see that West Virginia Smoke Shop has a new lineup of medico pipes including the Husky pipes that I’ve bee waiting for a year or more for the stock to be replenished!!

https://wvsmokeshop.com/medicopipes.aspx

@Kevin Keith @Ruffinogold @Tsal
Imma go look
I’ve looked at all of the medico pipes over at wvsmokeshop and while I do like them
I do believe that I will pick up a couple more yb checker and imperial pipes (basically the same but they have the shape and size I’d like more so)
Go team Checker!
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

rekamepip wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:53 am
Kevin Keith wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:18 pm
rekamepip wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:52 pm I see that West Virginia Smoke Shop has a new lineup of medico pipes including the Husky pipes that I’ve bee waiting for a year or more for the stock to be replenished!!

https://wvsmokeshop.com/medicopipes.aspx

@Kevin Keith @Ruffinogold @Tsal
Imma go look
I’ve looked at all of the medico pipes over at wvsmokeshop and while I do like them
I do believe that I will pick up a couple more yb checker and imperial pipes (basically the same but they have the shape and size I’d like more so)
Go team Checker!
One of the Medico lines had a saddle stem panel billiard but I’m gonna have to pass. I’ve lost all my investors in my pipe acquisition business. lol 😂
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Silver
Certified Codger

I've split my Medicos into standard size. A Frank, Premier and Crest Bruyere Cafe.

And small size. A Frank, Frank, VFQ, Guardsman and Frank.