Whip out the Woodies

Wildcat
Codger in Training

Woodrow1953 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:57 am I only had one Kaywoodie. Here’s the deal. When I bought mine a long time ago it was a screw in. I’d screw in the stem, and the bowl ended up eschewed to the stem. So the pipe is in my mouth but the bowl is at a 20 degree angle and I hated that.
I can’t recall what I did with the pipe but it always bugged me. Think I gave it away. If they had made the thing with a push pull stem it wouldn’t worked far better.
Why would they manufacture it that way.
HLT came up with the adjustomatic to solve the problem in the 1930s. Later, absorbed by "Dr Grabow," the adjusto continued to be a success. Probably the greatest "gimmick" that was no gimmick as far as I'm concerned. HTL was where the Willard line was born in Ozone Park, NY again in the 1930s. The name and yellow dot would sit on a shelf for a long time until DG revived it. Look for Dave Whitney's article, "The Pipe That Went to War."

I'm fortunate enough to own a wonderful example of a 30s HTL Willard with an adjustonatic stem, that I purchased from Dave. It took awhile, but he finally relented!!

Now, back to KW talk!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Kevin Keith wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:18 am These are they

Red Root

Super Grain 13b

Gold Majestic

Mandarin

Hand Made

Saxon
Ya know , that gold Majestic is really a great shape . Its similar to the old , I forget ... the 50b or something like that . I had one years ago and dont know what happened to it . It was kinda a bulldog with a round shank and standard stem . Actually , I think that may be the same bowl too .... does it have a shape number ?
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:06 pm

Red Root

Super Grain 13b

Gold Majestic

Mandarin

Hand Made

Saxon
Ya know , that gold Majestic is really a great shape . Its similar to the old , I forget ... the 50b or something like that . I had one years ago and dont know what happened to it . It was kinda a bulldog with a round shank and standard stem . Actually , I think that may be the same bowl too .... does it have a shape number ?
no shape number. but it is unique!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Kevin Keith wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:06 pm

Red Root

Super Grain 13b

Gold Majestic

Mandarin

Hand Made

Saxon
Looks like the 50B . One of my favorites of their old lines . Its so cool to see a more modern one

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm

Looks like the 50B . One of my favorites of their old lines . Its so cool to see a more modern one

I have been thinking about this issue for two years. Thank you for providing the probable answer.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Citizen B wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 4:01 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:28 pm

I have been thinking about this issue for two years. Thank you for providing the probable answer.
Youre welcome ... I felt it in the force