The August Brylon Challenge™ 2022

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Can you believe it? It’s almost here!

This will be the 4th annual August Brylon Challenge™ here on PSF. It's the month where we emphasize smoking our space age pipes. So, just a heads up to pick up a polymer pipe, the pinnacle of mid-20th Century smoking technology! THE SMOKE, the pipe, Venturi, and any other wild, mid-century polymer pipe is eligible.

Post all of the The August Brylon Challenge™ 2022 smokes in the regular WAYS thread for August. You do not have to smoke Brylon exclusively to participate, just post the smokes in WAYS as you puff those pieces of plastic pipey pulchritude.

Happy retro smoking!
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
kschatey

Oooh... I actually have a Yello-Bole Spartan Brylon prince!

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

kschatey wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:49 pm Oooh... I actually have a Yello-Bole Spartan Brylon prince!

My one brylon is a YB Nova, also a prince! I had two others but gave them away.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

My only brylon is no longer with me
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I said this before, and it bears repeating.

Everyone says same thing everyone says about brylon. Hot, wet smokers..and without even so much as having handled one, much less smoked one. They heard it, decided plastic pipes aren’t cool and just parroted the calumny.

I am convinced that new smokers buy brylon because they are so affordable and not knowing the first thing about pipes find that they are hot, wet smokers and weigh a ton.

I am also convinced that brylon is actually advanced smoking material. You have to know what you're doing or you're gonna hate it. And you'll hate briar, meerschaum, and cobs too for that matter.

These guys have a "bad" experience and chunk the big B and give up on pipes altogether . Then, after a 20 year "hiatus" from pipe smoking, they will pick up a cob and some PA, learn how to smoke it and discover pleasurable smoking.

They never pick up another brylon and proudly boast they have been smoking a pipe for 20 years (false) and pronounce the expected mantra against the Bry...hot, heavy, wet and it sucks when really it was their ignorance that generated this opinion. As with aros, smoking a brylon pipe takes a pro. Sure, they’re ugly and really have no soul, but they can be fun one month a year.

All y’all know what’s up, we have a forum full of pro pipe smokers. Get a brylon and learn it like you would any other pipe. And come have fun with us in the August Brylon Challenge when we will smoke the red headed step child of the pipe world at least once a day for the whole month! Just copy and paste the banner and proudly post your smokes in the August WAYS.
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Mr Beardsley wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:55 pm My only brylon is no longer with me
A common lament. 😆
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

kschatey wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:49 pm Oooh... I actually have a Yello-Bole Spartan Brylon prince!

YB Nova
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Silver
Certified Codger

My only one's a Nova. Got it with a bunch of other pipes I cleaned and refurbed. Haven't smoked it yet, but its ready to go!

Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

Silver wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:21 pm My only one's a Nova. Got it with a bunch of other pipes I cleaned and refurbed. Haven't smoked it yet, but its ready to go!

FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I love this time of year.

My only brylon is the Yellow Bole where the tenon gets stuck in the shank. I am going to have to break out the pliers and apply a little WD-40.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.