English and Balkan differences.

Woodrow1953

Okay. I do sort of get it now. I like Latakia but in sweeter blends. I smoked something called Pirates Passion long ago from a Canadian place called Knudsens Pipe Dream. I wish I could find that recipe again.
I have tried Red Raparee before and did not like it, probably because it was a little oriental forward.
I’ll just have to try some of these different blends without going broke.
It’s a hobby that my wife doesn’t understand. I’m loaded with pipes, and a little low on baccy
Bill Wood
Melfort, Sk, Canada
Non profit web developer
Retired broadcaster

Stanwell / Brigham / Peterson
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Here ... this will frig you guys up . Latakia is an oriental .. just saying :lol:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Ruffinogold wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:58 pm Here ... this will frig you guys up . Latakia is an oriental .. just saying :lol:
:lol:
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
kschatey

Woodrow1953 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:53 pm Okay. I do sort of get it now. I like Latakia but in sweeter blends. I smoked something called Pirates Passion long ago from a Canadian place called Knudsens Pipe Dream. I wish I could find that recipe again.
I have tried Red Raparee before and did not like it, probably because it was a little oriental forward.
It’s a hobby that my wife doesn’t understand. I’m loaded with pipes, and a little low on baccy
Country Squire Shepherd's Pie is has a nice sweetness to it. Was really hitting that blend hard earlier this year in my Comoy Pebbled 337 Prince. Good stuff. Really good stuff.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Ya know, I'd have to place myself in the "I like it or not" camp. I generally don't smoke Englishes because I don't really care for Latakia, but some I like. I generally don't smoke Orientals, but I do enjoy a bowl of straight up Classic Samsun now and then. All the types, styles, and blend names are really hard for me to follow. Of course, that could be because I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
CoreyR
Founding Member

Too me, "balkans" tend to be a bit spicier
Robhumphrey04

Woodrow1953 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:53 pm Okay. I do sort of get it now. I like Latakia but in sweeter blends. I smoked something called Pirates Passion long ago from a Canadian place called Knudsens Pipe Dream. I wish I could find that recipe again.
I’d bet Boswells Countryside would be right up your alley. I’d recommend the English sampler for 30 bucks. 8-1oz samples of different englishes. North woods is fantastic as well.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:58 pm Here ... this will frig you guys up . Latakia is an oriental .. just saying :lol:
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Woodrow1953

Robhumphrey04 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:04 am
I’d bet Boswells Countryside would be right up your alley. I’d recommend the English sampler for 30 bucks. 8-1oz samples of different englishes. North woods is fantastic as well.
Thanks Rob. Where would I find the English sampler for $30.

Many thanks to all for the ideas.
Bill Wood
Melfort, Sk, Canada
Non profit web developer
Retired broadcaster

Stanwell / Brigham / Peterson
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Woodrow1953 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:06 pm
Robhumphrey04 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:04 am
Thanks Rob. Where would I find the English sampler for $30.

Many thanks to all for the ideas.
Price has gone up, such is everything these days. Heres the link:

https://boswellpipes.com/product/boswel ... h-sampler/