Where are my deer pros?

Jlando19

I have posted photos of the fawns in my yard before and people have commented that they were small. What about these guys? They made their way through the yard today. Felted racks. Does that mean they just went through the rut or are they about to? I don’t know much about hunting deer but I want to learn.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Nice !

All I’ve seen this summer at my house is a momma and 2 babies - almost daily the come eat our hostas but those are about gone now
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

They tear the velvet off when the rutting starts. It's gruesome. Hormones control all their actions after.
Lostdog5152
Member in Good Standing

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:15 pm They tear the velvet off when the rutting starts. It's gruesome. Hormones control all their actions after.
True. They will be kicking each others behind when the rut starts.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Ronv69
Founding Member

Sweet! All we've had is a small doe and her fawn.
God and Texas!
Silver
Certified Codger

What you see are this year's antlers growing. The velvet protects the antler and also the blood vessels underneath to supply blood/nutrients to the growing antlers. Once the antlers start to harden, the velvet dries and is shed from them. Bucks also help in shedding the velvet by rubbing their antlers against branches and brush. Then, it's game on.
Jlando19

Silver wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:48 pm What you see are this year's antlers growing. The velvet protects the antler and also the blood vessels underneath to supply blood/nutrients to the growing antlers. Once the antlers start to harden, the velvet dries and is shed from them. Bucks also help in shedding the velvet by rubbing their antlers against branches and brush. Then, it's game on.
I really want to get into hunting. I live in Texas it can’t be that hard to figure out. Haha. My dad didn’t get into it until about three years ago. One of his brother in law’s convinced him to go and now he’s hooked.
Jlando19

Thelonious monkfish wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:15 pm They tear the velvet off when the rutting starts. It's gruesome. Hormones control all their actions after.
So these are the horns they’ll have for the season. Then they shed them and the process starts over?
Jlando19

Ronv69 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:42 pm Sweet! All we've had is a small doe and her fawn.
Everyday this week I’ve seen at least two bucks amongst 10 to 12 fawns and does. Today there were four or five bigger bucks and a few little ones. Like a literal herd of deer through my yard.