Restoration on the cheap

Woodrow1953

I’ve been browsing my collection and picking out the ones that need a good clean up. I’ve taken a good look at the many exotic solutions etc, but being a Canadian ordering from the States can be a PITA. Anyway a brief list of the tried and true items that have been used for years.

Stem clean up - oxyclean and water, followed by Magic erasure, and a mild sanding with pads. Mineral oil on the stem, the a little Carnuba polish. Candle wax in a pinch.
Indentations come out with a little heat on the stem. Any idents that don’t use a little crazy glue.
Got a big hole? I’ve used JB Weld. It dries grey, but if your not fussy it works well.

Bowl clean up. If you don’t have a reamer, pick at it with dental picks or an exacto knife. Ghosting? Cotton balls and iso alcohol. Stuff the bowl and shank and add iso to the bowl. Pipe cleaners and iso for stem and shank cleaning and the bowl

Wash with Murphys oil soap. By the way, water will not hurt your pipe. After the Murphys scrub just drizzle water over your pipe. Water won’t hurt the internals. Make sure you dry the pipe for 48 hours.

Murphys usually leaves your pipe looking a little dull. Put some more cotton balls in the bowl and shank, and using a Q tip paint mineral oil on the pipe and leave for about 10 minutes. Wipe off the mineral oil. Leave for a day.

Carnuba wax is readily available. I bought a bar and melted it in a small glass bowl. Apply to the bowl and stem. Hand buff with a cloth. I don’t use a wheel or a drill.

I’m not a restoration freak, but you can buy most of the above for around $50. Some of the above you already have. But all the products are available at the drug store and hardware.

The most surprising ingredient I’ve run across is Mineral Oil. It rejuvenates the briar and does wonders for your stem. Take a couple of swigs and your colon will love it too.

That leaves us with more dollars for tobac, and the occasional pipe. Happy puffing!
Bill Wood
Melfort, Sk, Canada
Non profit web developer
Retired broadcaster

Stanwell / Brigham / Peterson
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Really good stuff. Glad to see so many easy methods. Thanks!
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I love it! Simple, straightforward, and all items readily available.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-