Help with finding an aromatic

kschatey

Nhsmoker wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:22 am I have an order coming with sir walter Raleigh aromatic and cult blood red moon. Not sure if I'll like either but I am trying to expand my horizons. Plus if I can find a blend I can tolerate with a room note my better half will approve of, that would be a win
I'm really enjoying the SWRA. I'm not a fan of the Cult Blood Red Moon. I only keep the rest of the tin around do send out as samples for people that are interested since it seems to get so much love.
Nhsmoker

kschatey wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:04 pm
Nhsmoker wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:22 am I have an order coming with sir walter Raleigh aromatic and cult blood red moon. Not sure if I'll like either but I am trying to expand my horizons. Plus if I can find a blend I can tolerate with a room note my better half will approve of, that would be a win
I'm really enjoying the SWRA. I'm not a fan of the Cult Blood Red Moon. I only keep the rest of the tin around do send out as samples for people that are interested since it seems to get so much love.
Yeah I'm guessing the cult won't be my thing but I saw lots of people like it so I am giving it a try. I also have had devils holiday and don't think I liked that either (though I can't remember for sure) but I know that gets lots of love too. I am just going to try to buy a few different ones to sample just to see if my taste changes.
kschatey

Nhsmoker wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:38 pm
Yeah I'm guessing the cult won't be my thing but I saw lots of people like it so I am giving it a try. I also have had devils holiday and don't think I liked that either (though I can't remember for sure) but I know that gets lots of love too. I am just going to try to buy a few different ones to sample just to see if my taste changes.
Now Devil's Holiday is a fav of mine. A lot of people also talk about Exotic Passion, but that one's a dud for me, too.
Nhsmoker

kschatey wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:50 pm

Now Devil's Holiday is a fav of mine. A lot of people also talk about Exotic Passion, but that one's a dud for me, too.
I think I remember devils holiday being too sweet and I thought I remembered it being goopy. But I
haven't had it since 2009 so my memory of it is spotty at best. Maybe I'll buy a tin and revisit it if you think my faded memory is incorrect.
I am just apprehensive about buying a bunch of different aromatics at once where they are typically not my thing.
I was thinking of doing a boswells sampler but I kind of want to find some that I can source multiple places.in case I can find some I like.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

kschatey wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:50 pm

Reminded me of Lane's Holiday Excursion. TR calls it an American English, but it was an aromatic to me and a damn good one. It says still available, but I haven't seen it. Very good smoke. I should have cellared a tub or two. Shame on me.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Nhsmoker

Got my cult blood red moon and swra in today. I an trying the cult first in a meer. In is OK I definitely get cherry (artificial flavor for sure but ok) and on the retrohale I swear I pick up a gentle spice of some sort maybe a super subtle nutmeg or something.
Probably not something I will order again but also not upset about the purchase. I will finish the tin.
Tomorrow will be swra I was more intrigued by that so we will see.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Nhsmoker wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:16 pm Got my cult blood red moon and swra in today. I an trying the cult first in a meer. In is OK I definitely get cherry (artificial flavor for sure but ok) and on the retrohale I swear I pick up a gentle spice of some sort maybe a super subtle nutmeg or something.
Probably not something I will order again but also not upset about the purchase. I will finish the tin.
Tomorrow will be swra I was more intrigued by that so we will see.
:lurk:
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Nhsmoker

After the blood red moon I decided to try a bowl of swra, not my thing. Not sure what I think it tastes like but I find it terribly boring and very 1 dimensional.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Nhsmoker wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:34 pm .... I find it terribly boring and very 1 dimensional.
Consider the people who sing its praises. Do you have regular SWR or are smoking SWRA?
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Nhsmoker

Swra. It isnt terrible but definitely not exciting to my unrefined palate. Again though I typically only smoke english blends.
Maybe I'll try it again without being back to back with another tobacco and without being a few beers deep.