A Sour Pipe

Piping Abe
Certified Codger

@rekamepip I am gonna go with everything you said. I’ve always thought this was the case. Did you ever get your pipe to taste good?
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Piping Abe wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:05 am @rekamepip I am gonna go with everything you said. I’ve always thought this was the case. Did you ever get your pipe to taste good?
I think it did smoke good afterwards but
I really don’t remember what became of that pipe
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I know I've heard about Pete dip staining their lower line pipes for a bit but I'd never heard that grabow did it too. Interesting
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Wildcat
Codger in Training

@Piping Abe that Royalton was a looker for sure. I'd like to say you couldn't have sent it to a better man.

But the truth us you could have, so....
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Wildcat wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:24 pm @Piping Abe that Royalton was a looker for sure. I'd like to say you couldn't have sent it to a better man.

At least I'm not an aromatic smoker...
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:31 pm
Wildcat wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:24 pm @Piping Abe that Royalton was a looker for sure. I'd like to say you couldn't have sent it to a better man.

First you pick on me and my OTCs, now the gooper gang!

In all seriousness, do you smoke any aros at all? Anything in the cellar? I keep a few around and there's prolly a gajillion aro threads with all of our lists so I won't repeat mine again here.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Wildcat wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:37 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:31 pm

First you pick on me and my OTCs, now the gooper gang!

In all seriousness, do you smoke any aros at all? Anything in the cellar? I keep a few around and there's prolly a gajillion aro threads with all of our lists so I won't repeat mine again here.
Very few full blown aromatics. Mostly things that would be considered non aromatic with a light topping of some kind. And no matter what I smoke lately has to be on the really dry side
Woodrow1953

Piping Abe wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:43 pm I have a Dr. Grabow Royalton Bulldog pipe that no matter what, the smoke never tastes well. Since i’ve had it, it never has smoke well. Its not wet, it just tastes sour and off. I’ve tried to clean it with pipe sweetener and Alcohol. Nothing ever worked. I don’t know what the deal is. This has never happened with any other pipe i’ve owned. It is a shame since I really like the shape.

Has anyone ever heard of this?
Abe! We’re you able to solve the problem?
Bill Wood
Melfort, Sk, Canada
Non profit web developer
Retired broadcaster

Stanwell / Brigham / Peterson
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

@Woodrow1953 no, I didn’t want to put in the effort. I sent it to @Mr Beardsley to experiment on.

I believe the cause of the sour taste was the same that @rekamepip mentioned on page 2 of this thread.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

If it makes you feel better I haven't had any time at all to try and fix the issue either