Pipe retort

Silver
Certified Codger

Looks like a good way to burn down your house!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

So, I am wondering, just out of idle curiosity, has anyone actually tried this?

I find this whole thread daffy, no offense to the OP. Everything we do is to further our knowledge, which is why I am asking if anyone has actually used this retort recently and what are the results.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ronv69
Founding Member

Citizen B wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:28 pm So, I am wondering, just out of idle curiosity, has anyone actually tried this?

I find this whole thread daffy, no offense to the OP. Everything we do is to further our knowledge, which is why I am asking if anyone has actually used this retort recently and what are the results.
I have used it on 2 pipes that were nasty beyond belief. It works, but you only use it for the very dirtiest pipes.
God and Texas!
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I used a pipe retort once on a very nasty pipe and melted the stem. I clearly didn't follow instructions. And I don't buy really nasty pipes anymore.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Ronv69
Founding Member

MikeDennison wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:36 am I used a pipe retort once on a very nasty pipe and melted the stem. I clearly didn't follow instructions. And I don't buy really nasty pipes anymore.
Good move. But I must say that my best pipe also the dirtiest eBay pipe purchase. Image
I had to change the alcohol 4 times.
God and Texas!
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Ronv69 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:40 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:36 am I used a pipe retort once on a very nasty pipe and melted the stem. I clearly didn't follow instructions. And I don't buy really nasty pipes anymore.
Good move. But I must say that my best pipe also the dirtiest eBay pipe purchase. Image
Great looking Peterson. What shape number is that?
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Same. Most of my great smokers were dirty bastards from the bay. In all honesty unless it's a real oddball shape or something I don't even look at an old pipe that's clean. I hunt down the ones that appear to have approximately 10000000 smokes through them because that pipe smoked great for somebody
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ronv69
Founding Member

Piping Abe wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:40 pm
Great looking Peterson. What shape number is that?
Don't know the shape number. It's a 1998 Limited Edition. Gold plate over silver.
God and Texas!
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

That's a beauty! Glad it worked out for ya.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-