Dr. Grabow Filter Pipes

Wildcat
Codger in Training

kschatey wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:58 am Please forward all unwanted 6mm and 9mm filters to me. I will take good care of them by lovingly using them!
Congratulations! You're on a government watchlist now! Welcome to the club!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

kschatey wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:58 am Please forward all unwanted 6mm and 9mm filters to me. I will take good care of them by lovingly using them!
I have always preferred Medico filters over Grabow filters. They used to be a little shorter. I do not know if they are still that way. I have boxes and boxes of Medico filters so I have not been paying attention to the pipe filter market.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Citizen B wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:23 pm
I have always preferred Medico filters over Grabow filters. They used to be a little shorter. I do not know if they are still that way. I have boxes and boxes of Medico filters so I have not been paying attention to the pipe filter market.
So you always smoke with a filter or prefer to use a filter @Citizen B ?
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Piping Abe wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:32 pm
Citizen B wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:23 pm
So you always smoke with a filter or prefer to use a filter @Citizen B ?
If a pipe is built to take a filter, I use a filter. I prefer the cardboard filters. They last about three smokes and collect all sorts of goop and moisture. I have never used those balsa wood filters. Those seem to be a scam to me. Though I understand the theoretical physics of why a balsa wood filter should work, I am unconvinced enough to give up my attachment to the paper filters. Medico is my first choice. Grabow filters are my second.

I like filters and I have never understood why other people do not like them. Who am I to judge? It could be because of a mental condition.

Grabow filters cause more consternation in pipes not made for them than Medico filters ever have in my experience. I admit my experience is limited. YMMV.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Though I understand the theoretical physics of why a balsa wood filter should work. Please by all means enlighten us. :lol:
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Balsa wood filters are far more superior to the cardboard filter and can be dried out and reused a few times

heck Q-tip sticks work just as good as a medico filter 🤣
kschatey

rekamepip wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:19 pm Balsa wood filters are far more superior to the cardboard filter and can be dried out and reused a few times

Agreed. I am a big fan of the balsa. Just cut off the business end after each smoke to help with keeping the flavor fresh!
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

kschatey wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:37 pm
rekamepip wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:19 pm Balsa wood filters are far more superior to the cardboard filter and can be dried out and reused a few times

Agreed. I am a big fan of the balsa. Just cut off the business end after each smoke to help with keeping the flavor fresh!
I have never done that, heard of such a thing, or even imagined it! I may give that a try at some point.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Anybody ever coiled up a pipe cleaner for a filter? I've done that in a pinch.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
kschatey

MikeDennison wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:07 pm
kschatey wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:37 pm

I have never done that, heard of such a thing, or even imagined it! I may give that a try at some point.
What can I say, I'm a trend setter! I have never heard or read of anybody else doing it, so I'd like to think that I invented the idea (although I'm sure somebody else somewhere has done it before). You can also while off any spot, etc. From the sides of the filter as well. Even more important with the 9mm balsa filters in the ridges to keep them tasting fresher. Depending how much you trim each time a balsa filter can do 3-6 smokes and taste good each time.