Stanwell rustication reimagined

Woodrow1953

I’m on a bit of a refurb kick. I really enjoy it. I have zero old pipes to work on so I’m spiffing up the ones I have. I’ll be posting some re-imagined briars. Back in the day the only pipe shop we had mostly sold Stanwells. So I have a few of them, and for some reason I’ve ended up with 3-4 copies of the same shape. No idea why.

Here’s a Stan I like. I’m not found of black pipes. The original was a jet black heavily rusticated stummel. In the future I will post a before and after picture. I used Murphy soap to clean up the briar, then an alcohol soak to rid the black and cherry stain. Then I sanded down the rustication to reveal the briar. I darkened the pipe just a bit with mineral oil.

I’m not up on my dye skills, and have to practice polishing with a dremel, but I felt I didn’t have to use any more dye or touch ups for this briar. Micro mesh sanding, then a touch of kiwi neutral shoe polish (which is basically Carnuba)
The grain I was looking for came out nicely.
Bill Wood
Melfort, Sk, Canada
Non profit web developer
Retired broadcaster

Stanwell / Brigham / Peterson
Silver
Certified Codger

Very nice!
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

That is some crazy rustication there. Fantastic stuff
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

@Woodrow1953 : This is the only part of what you said that I understand, "...then a touch of kiwi neutral shoe polish."

It never occurs to me to buy neutral shoe polish. I always buy black. At first, I thought you had darkened the black with the shoe polish, then I reread it. I think I understand what you did---you polished the whole pipe with shoe polish. If I am right, you are a genius and I suspect you saved yourself some money over some fancy pipe-polishing wax for the up-charge.

This is a really nice looking pipe. Nice work. I look forward to seeing more.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

That's a amazing looking pipe right there!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Woodrow1953 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:28 am I’m on a bit of a refurb kick. I really enjoy it. I have zero old pipes to work on so I’m spiffing up the ones I have. I’ll be posting some re-imagined briars. Back in the day the only pipe shop we had mostly sold Stanwells. So I have a few of them, and for some reason I’ve ended up with 3-4 copies of the same shape. No idea why.

Here’s a Stan I like. I’m not found of black pipes. The original was a jet black heavily rusticated stummel. In the future I will post a before and after picture. I used Murphy soap to clean up the briar, then an alcohol soak to rid the black and cherry stain. Then I sanded down the rustication to reveal the briar. I darkened the pipe just a bit with mineral oil.

I’m not up on my dye skills, and have to practice polishing with a dremel, but I felt I didn’t have to use any more dye or touch ups for this briar. Micro mesh sanding, then a touch of kiwi neutral shoe polish (which is basically Carnuba)

Very Nice
bring back some new enjoyment to an old pipe
👍
kschatey

Woodrow1953 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:28 am I’m on a bit of a refurb kick. I really enjoy it. I have zero old pipes to work on so I’m spiffing up the ones I have. I’ll be posting some re-imagined briars. Back in the day the only pipe shop we had mostly sold Stanwells. So I have a few of them, and for some reason I’ve ended up with 3-4 copies of the same shape. No idea why.

Awesome.
Love it.
Want it.
Woodrow1953

Citizen B wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:57 pm @Woodrow1953 : This is the only part of what you said that I understand, "...then a touch of kiwi neutral shoe polish."
Correct Citizen B. Neutral shoe polish. I’ve done a lot of reading of older posts and blogs. Kiwi neutral came up, in the absence of Paragon. DONT use coloured shoe polish on pipes, or anything with a strong petroleum scent. Kiwi neutral has a base of Paragon and has a light scent.

Originally I had been trying to source a product gone long ago from Walkers Pipe repair. A softer product that one could apply with fingers and buff. At the moment there’s a shortage of Paragon, and Halcyon II. Those two products are supplied by a fellow on eBay, and apparently he’s setting up a new store or something. Paragon is preferred on smooth pipes, and Halcyon II on rusticated pipes.

My research continued for pipers could use to polish pipes quickly, by hand, without the use of a motorized equipment.
Some other products that work well are,
- Renaissance wax. It’s a soft product with a slight scent. But very safe. High shine
- Mineral oil. Completely neutral. BUT beware, this will darken your pipe significantly. It can be used on an area of your pipe where the dye is washed out. Low shine
- Conservators wax. This is the equivalent of Renaissance wax, for Canadians only. Because, well, we’re Canadian.
- Food safe waxes. Many on the market. For use when you don’t want an extreme shine. Low shine.

Most of the products above do have a scent, albeit light. Try not to use any furniture polish that is heavily scented. The pipe smokes from the inside out, not affecting the taste, but you don’t want a lemon pledge scent with your favourite tobac.
Bill Wood
Melfort, Sk, Canada
Non profit web developer
Retired broadcaster

Stanwell / Brigham / Peterson
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

The one addition / correction of sorts that I'd make is for the renaissance wax. It contains a micro crystalline polish so technically you can buff it out to whatever luster you prefer. Kind of depends on how much you apply / rub
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I like Stanwell pipes. Enjoy.
The Troll Whisperer