Ideas for a Meer Lined Grabow

Wildcat
Codger in Training

Piping Abe wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:54 am I think the consesus is that anything over and inch and a quarter is too big for burn characteristics. Under that, your good.
I think this is why I don't recall my dad smoking the KW mentioned. Some evidence, but no cake. I never did smoke it. As I said it was a dust collector.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Ronv69 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:10 pm JB Weld is an epoxy, great for fixing engine blocks, but I would not like to smoke it. I would really hate trying to remove it from the pipe too. It's a decorative piece now.
+1
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Woodrow1953 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:03 am How do you think I could reduce the size of the bowl. I’ve already added a thin layer of JB Weld. I’m just concerned how a bowl this big would actually smoke.
JB Weld is toxic if your planning on smoking it. Perhaps take it out. People on the internet have claimed that large diameter bowls are great for English blends.
The Troll Whisperer
Thelonious monkfish
Codger in Training

Wildcat wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:37 am I believe @Thelonious monkfish has a KW Meer lined with missing meer my dad smoked for a very short while. I believe it was a hand-me-down to my dad from my Papa Jim. I reamed it down to wood and it was a dust collecting piece of my childhood but with no real sentimental value so I moved it on.

All that said, maybe Alex has plans for it, he's quite the
pipe restorer!!
I recall somebody using plaster of paris, maybe Troy on the Grabow site years ago. Vermont Freehand sells pressed meer plugs for inserts, pretty cheap but they'd need drilled.

Regarding the stain left on the recessed areas, did you try acetone?
Woodrow1953

Some pro restorers have used JB Weld for cracks inside the bowl. Finishing up with a coating of sour cream and charcoal. I think I may try it. I’m going for a smooth look. Here’s the latest on the journey thus far.

Bill Wood
Melfort, Sk, Canada
Non profit web developer
Retired broadcaster

Stanwell / Brigham / Peterson
Ronv69
Founding Member

Your pipe makes me think of the revolver I inherited from my father. I was once tempted to shoot it. It was originally nickel plated, a 1950s German made copy of a Colt, but double action. It's in 32 Colt. I would shoot it except that the timing is so far off that the cartridge doesn't line the primer up with the firing pin. Instead, I stripped the rust off, gave it a quick rub with steel wool and a cold blue and put it in a shadow box. Some things aren't worth fixing, regardless of the sentimental value.
God and Texas!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ronv69 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:28 pm Your pipe makes me think of the revolver I inherited from my father. I was once tempted to shoot it. It was originally nickel plated, a 1950s German made copy of a Colt, but double action. It's in 32 Colt. I would shoot it except that the timing is so far off that the cartridge doesn't line the primer up with the firing pin. Instead, I stripped the rust off, gave it a quick rub with steel wool and a cold blue and put it in a shadow box. Some things aren't worth fixing, regardless of the sentimental value.
Rock solid wisdom
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Woodrow1953

Well. I took the JB weld out. I did some research. I’m not really sure after reading, how to fix a crack IN the bowl, but the pipe was calling for Plaster Of Paris. Still a few fills to work on, but the old fella isn’t dead yet.

Bill Wood
Melfort, Sk, Canada
Non profit web developer
Retired broadcaster

Stanwell / Brigham / Peterson
Silver
Certified Codger

The old Doctor has some nice grain!