1970's Drek.

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I do not expect this to be a real razzle dazzle of a thread.

Don't ask why I am marinating myself in these 1970s lowest-common-demoninator, God-awful TV shows. I am going to share some clips until I move onto the next thing to corrupt my soul. I am going deep into things I barely remember. I am 57. I assume many members here share a similar age bracket and will be able to vaguely recall how, well, what's the word for it? Everything was crap and drek, not like today when everything is edgy and hip and on the cutting edge of sophistication.

I no longer watch television and I haven't for more than half my life. The last time I really consumed popular culture was when this drek came out. Watching these clips makes me feel unclean. I guess I turned out alright.

Without further ado, this intro will set the tone of what I am talking about.

The Hudson Brothers were no Sonny and Cher, but they did share an aesthetic. I will never say anything unkind about Sonny and Cher---ever. I could not care less about the Hudson Brothers. Were they even related or was it a gimmick, like the poor man's 70s version of the Monkees?

Feel free to comment, otherwise I will just keep posting stuff here to remind myself of where I came from. It explains a lot of how I became the man I am today.

Feel free to chime in if this subject moves you. I would love to see more than what I find on my own personal and professional YouTube excavations.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
ncrobb
Founding Member

Wow. I don’t remember the Hudson Brothers. I guess my TV was stuck on Hee Haw for musical variety show for the most part but I do recall Carol Burnett, the Muppets, sonny & Cher, Donnie & Marie and Lawrence Welk. I’ve been known to watch reruns of Lawrence Welk in recent years. Reminds me of being at my grandparents house.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Ronv69
Founding Member

The Hudson Brothers did suck, but there were good shows too. I always watched the Dean Martin show and the Smothers Brothers.
God and Texas!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

There was such crap on tv back then . It wasn't all crap but it was pretty bad . I think Hee Haw was pretty damn awesome . Those guys jammed big time and the girls were cute The Roasts were excellent . My pop watched those . In search of was interesting to me as a teenager .I generally watched re runs of older shows from whichever decade back then . I admit to liking the Dukes of Hazard , Twilight Zone and Hogans Heros . I watched I dream of Jeannie , Petticoat Junction for the chicks . But I didn't watch them .. it was more back ground while doing something else until a hot girl came on , then Id stop and watch until she was off screen . . When Wonder Woman came out ... yeah , I watched that [ my God .. Linda Carter ] . Gunsmoke kicked ass and I watched every western tv show that was ever on .
When I was 7 , I instructed my parents to only address me as .. The Duke . I was the kid that wanted to be a cowboy ... period . I had killer cap guns that I actually took care of . There was one with white grips that had a horse on it . It had the best action and felt great . I could whip that bastid out and fire like the best of them . At least in my mind

In defense of that 70's crap . Todays TV is pretty shitty in a different way . I mean ... reality tv shows are the worst thing ever and then there's the lack of morals in everything and the PC bullshit to boot

I stream ever since it was possible . Prior to that I didn't have cable or dish but for a brief time

Theres a yoiutube video where a guy put the first 4 episodes of petticoat junction together to make it like a movie . I always thought these girls were just great . Its a good " movie " and a great snapshot of the early 60's tv I guess

" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

A few years ago, I bought the whole DVD set of Family Affair for Mrs. King and I to watch. She had never heard of it. She is German. Apparently, the executives at German TV though Mr. French wasn't relatable to their target demographic.

The reason Brian Keith reminds me of Kevin Keith is because, when I think of Kevin Kieth I think of Uncle Bill, not Uncle Buck.

I, myself, naturally, identify more with Sebastian Cabot, who played Bagheera in Disney's The Jungle Book.

I never liked Family Affair when I watched it in the 1970s on Chanel 9. When I watched it with Mrs. King on DVD in the second decade of the 21st Century, we both agreed it was a heartwarming show that made us appreciate our lives.

I have not watched TV in years. I do not know if shows today are heartwarming. My gut instinct is no, but I really have no idea.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Ronv69 wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:45 pm The Hudson Brothers did suck, but there were good shows too. I always watched the Dean Martin show and the Smothers Brothers.
I have seen the Smothers Brothers live. Those guys are masters.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Say what you want. Sonny was better with Cher. Cher was better with Sonny. Those of us who saw it happen know the truth. Not all 1970's drek was totally drek. Some of it was genuine. These two were magical together.

-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ronv69
Founding Member

Citizen B wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:15 pm Say what you want. Sonny was better with Cher. Cher was better with Sonny. Those of us who saw it happen know the truth. Not all 1970's drek was totally drek. Some of it was genuine. These two were magical together.

Agreed. They were much better together.
God and Texas!
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Ronv69 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:42 pm
Citizen B wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:15 pm Say what you want. Sonny was better with Cher. Cher was better with Sonny. Those of us who saw it happen know the truth. Not all 1970's drek was totally drek. Some of it was genuine. These two were magical together.

Agreed. They were much better together.
+1
He seemed like such a nice man. She had an edge to her.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Citizen B wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:15 pm I do not expect this to be a real razzle dazzle of a thread.

Don't ask why I am marinating myself in these 1970s lowest-common-demoninator, God-awful TV shows. I am going to share some clips until I move onto the next thing to corrupt my soul. I am going deep into things I barely remember. I am 57. I assume many members here share a similar age bracket and will be able to vaguely recall how, well, what's the word for it? Everything was crap and drek, not like today when everything is edgy and hip and on the cutting edge of sophistication.

I no longer watch television and I haven't for more than half my life. The last time I really consumed popular culture was when this drek came out. Watching these clips makes me feel unclean. I guess I turned out alright.

Without further ado, this intro will set the tone of what I am talking about.

The Hudson Brothers were no Sonny and Cher, but they did share an aesthetic. I will never say anything unkind about Sonny and Cher---ever. I could not care less about the Hudson Brothers. Were they even related or was it a gimmick, like the poor man's 70s version of the Monkees?

Feel free to comment, otherwise I will just keep posting stuff here to remind myself of where I came from. It explains a lot of how I became the man I am today.

Feel free to chime in if this subject moves you. I would love to see more than what I find on my own personal and professional YouTube excavations.
I think the Hudson Brothers cried themselves to sleep.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom