The " sweet spot " of a whiskey bottle

Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Plinsc wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:38 am I haven’t tried anything yet but wondering on a couple things, how long to force air, does it need to be a closed system?
I think I’ll take one for the team and play with this idea, I’ll get a bottle of Evan Williams Monday (cheap and I like it) start with a mason jar full and taste once a week.
I wonder if I place it all in a sealed cooler so it recirculates the air within would keep the alcohol from evaporating? No idea, just overthinking like every other electrician out there.
So your trying to force the alcohol to oxidize? Ultimately, what is going on is making the alcohol easier to drink, your attempting to reduce alcohol burn.

The alcohol should be drank as fresh as possible to deliver the best flavor.

Thats just my opinion. And yes, I have bottles laying around for months half drank too.
The Secret to Happiness is Low Expectations
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Plinsc wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:38 am I’ll start with a mason jar full and taste once a week.
Yeah, ok. :lol:
The Troll Whisperer
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

Or every other day.
You know, for science!
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Plinsc wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:38 am I haven’t tried anything yet but wondering on a couple things, how long to force air, does it need to be a closed system?
I think I’ll take one for the team and play with this idea, I’ll get a bottle of Evan Williams Monday (cheap and I like it) start with a mason jar full and taste once a week.
I wonder if I place it all in a sealed cooler so it recirculates the air within would keep the alcohol from evaporating? No idea, just overthinking like every other electrician out there.
I like Evan Williams too . I prefer the regular black label a well

I have no idea what I'm talking about , just guessing , but in my head I think an air flow might wipe it out ? I've only noticed it when a bottle is sealed for a time and its got some good amount of air in it . A flow of constant air makes me think it would evaporate or do something different .. but , I don't know . By all means give it a shot [ NPI ] because if it works that would be cool af
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

I’ll go into it expecting nothing as that may be what I end up with! I guess if it ends being alcoholess bourbon I could sell it to pair with near beer.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Piping Abe wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:27 am
So your trying to force the alcohol to oxidize? Ultimately, what is going on is making the alcohol easier to drink, your attempting to reduce alcohol burn.

The alcohol should be drank as fresh as possible to deliver the best flavor.

Thats just my opinion. And yes, I have bottles laying around for months half drank too.
Hmmm . I dont know brother ...

Heres what Ill do , cause youre such a dick [ lol ] ..... if i can catch you before you move , which sucks btw , Ill bring this bottle with me and you finish it off . Ive left the last two shots worth in there for years now waiting for a good reason to finish it . Youre a good enough reason and Ive had plenty of it . Its 45+ years old at this point . The aroma of it alone just freaks me out and Im glad theres nothing like it fresh because Id be a ful on alcoholic , which apparently is teh best of the diseases to have , per Norm McDonald .
Im pretty sure Im leaving for Florida after work on fri march 22 and returning tuesday on the 25th . If youre still around I can at least drop it to you somewhere

Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

That’s a sweet looking bottle!
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Plinsc wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:55 am That’s a sweet looking bottle!
He aint getting the bottle , lol . Ill bring a mason jar with me and Pour into it for him to take . That bottle is displayed on the " bar " . Its the best stuff Ive ever tasted . If bourbon tasted like that out of a regular bottle of the day , Id be dead by now

That idea you have is cool . Im curious about how it goes . I cant imagine Evan Williams tasting super aged , I bet it would be bliss
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Oh , my bar update

so I have it insulated a while back , wood ceiling is up and some dry wall .. then I got paranoid . I have a huge tree growing over it and I just know if I finish it off the tree will come down and destroy it . My luck hasnt been too good lately with out buildings . Just yeaterday , I made a dea with a guy to drop that tree . Its grown over the building in a tricky way and it takes an arborist with pullies and know how to bring it down in parts and not destroy the building
Im gonna paint some ceilings for him and hes gonna drop the tree . We'lll do both the jobs together . Kenny is a good guy and I think he likes cigars too
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Plinsc wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:33 am Or every other day.
You know, for science!
The Troll Whisperer