What was your first pipe?

PiperT

Do you remember the first pipe you got? Where did you get it? How oftern did you smoke it and do you still have it?

Currently own 1 pipe the Falcon Coolway 13, got it online and it is not yet a week old and love it never had any other pipe or even tried it before this one. Smoke it all day long and most of the night.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

My first pipe was a Stanwell Brushed Black. I couldn't get the hang of it at all! :D Then someone on the forum recommended a cob, and I was off to the races! Learned how to smoke a pipe on a MM Country Gentleman.

I smoked it like a fiend until I got my next briar; a Dr. Grabow Bent Freehand. The cob is long gone, but I'm still smoking the Grabow!
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

My first pipe was a stanwell vario shape 11 with 9mm filter ordered from P&C. It made me fall back in love with smoking and hate filters.

(I was a cigarette smoker for 25ish years. Quit those and started vaping but I was always in love with real tobacco. So pipes and cigars fit the bill without anywhere near as many health concerns as ciggies)
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
PiperT

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:31 am My first pipe was a stanwell vario shape 11 with 9mm filter ordered from P&C. It made me fall back in love with smoking and hate filters.

(I was a cigarette smoker for 25ish years. Quit those and started vaping but I was always in love with real tobacco. So pipes and cigars fit the bill without anywhere near as many health concerns as ciggies)
I was a heavy cigarette smoker for 13 years. Same as you started vaping, never stuck to it for more than a few months, went back to cigs (did this twice), didn't fancy battering my lungs for much longer and finally got the pipe.
Silver
Certified Codger

My first pipe was a Dr. Grabow. I bought it on a whim, along with a pouch of OTC pipe tobacco. Probably a cherry blend of some sort. I knew absolutely about pipe smoking - loading, tamping, charring light... I tried to smoke the pipe as I drove home from the store. I became so frustrated that I threw the pipe out the car window! A couple weeks later, I went to the local Tinder Box and asked questions. The shopkeeper set me up with a bent Irish Seconds pipe and gave me a crash course on pipe smoking. Things went much better the second time around. I still have the pipe, but rarely smoke it.

PiperT

Silver wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:36 pm My first pipe was a Dr. Grabow. I bought it on a whim, along with a pouch of OTC pipe tobacco. Probably a cherry blend of some sort. I knew absolutely about pipe smoking - loading, tamping, charring light... I tried to smoke the pipe as I drove home from the store. I became so frustrated that I threw the pipe out the car window! A couple weeks later, I went to the local Tinder Box and asked questions. The shopkeeper set me up with a bent Irish Seconds pipe and gave me a crash course on pipe smoking. Things went much better the second time around. I still have the pipe, but rarely smoke it.

Out the window :lol: That one looks like a nice pipe, I like the old guinness can!
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Always wanted to be a cigar guy. When browsing CigarsInternational I saw an ad for MM Corn Cobs. Way cheaper than cigars. I did some research, found the original PSF and got everything I needed for around $20 to start Pipe Smoking. From there I was hooked. I don’t remember torching my tongue, but I’m sure it happened.

I purchased 2 Cobs, a Legend and an Eaton. I poked a hole through the bottom of the Legend while cleaning it and chucked it. I didn’t know it was negligible and wouldn’t be an issue. I still have the Eaton and smoke it for a quick smoke.

Never been a cigarette smoker, but I knew I loved tobacco and the idea of smoking. It’s very American. So I started pipe smoking when I was around 20 years old.

I stopped for some years due to working constantly and never being home. When I finally slowed down and got moved to Georgia, I picked the pipe back up and haven’t looked back. I won’t ever stop smoking my pipe now.

My first Briar, i’ve been meaning tell the story in another thread you should read. Its nothing crazy but it is a special pipe to me. Thread link below.

viewtopic.php?t=722&hilit=Sentimental
PiperT

Piping Abe wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:56 pm Always wanted to be a cigar guy. When browsing CigarsInternational I saw an ad for MM Corn Cobs. Way cheaper than cigars. I did some research, found the original PSF and got everything I needed for around $20 to start Pipe Smoking. From there I was hooked. I don’t remember torching my tongue, but I’m sure it happened.

I purchased 2 Cobs, a Legend and an Eaton. I poked a hole through the bottom of the Legend while cleaning it and chucked it. I didn’t know it was negligible and wouldn’t be an issue. I still have the Eaton and smoke it for a quick smoke.

Never been a cigarette smoker, but I knew I loved tobacco and the idea of smoking. It’s very American. So I started pipe smoking when I was around 20 years old.

I stopped for some years due to working constantly and never being home. When I finally slowed down and got moved to Georgia, I picked the pipe back up and haven’t looked back. I won’t ever stop smoking my pipe now.

My first Briar, i’ve been meaning tell the story in another thread you should read. Its nothing crazy but it is a special pipe to me. Thread link below.

Thats a brilliant story! Love that they got your pipe back out the river and the fact that you still have it and smoke it! Used to do a bit of fishing too mate, need to go again really.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

PiperT wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:04 pm
Piping Abe wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:56 pm Always wanted to be a cigar guy. When browsing CigarsInternational I saw an ad for MM Corn Cobs. Way cheaper than cigars. I did some research, found the original PSF and got everything I needed for around $20 to start Pipe Smoking. From there I was hooked. I don’t remember torching my tongue, but I’m sure it happened.

Thats a brilliant story! Love that they got your pipe back out the river and the fact that you still have it and smoke it! Used to do a bit of fishing too mate, need to go again really.
I’m confused. I didn’t mention fishing in my story. But I do love fishing as well.
PiperT

Piping Abe wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:19 pm
PiperT wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:04 pm

I’m confused. I didn’t mention fishing in my story. But I do love fishing as well.
Oops my bad, I read another users story :lol: