Tobacco Cellar Storage

Piping Abe
Certified Codger

After using mason jars for so long, I finally decided to go the Mylar route. I prefer to use the Mylar with the one clear side because I like to see the Tobacco. Also, the large cabinet I have has finally reached its limit.

I now plan to buy my favorties every good sale, Black Friday is coming up, to keep a good stock.

I also moved this tote under my bed. Now all I need is a list or spread sheet and i’ll keep a few ‘currently smoking’ bags in the cabinet.

I treat the Mylar like I did with mason jars. If I wanna smoke a blend, I open it and take some out for a bowl. I do not care about aging. I prefer my tobacco to taste how it taste when I get it. I never purchase an excess, to specifically age. Aging could be better, or worse for each blend. Either way, tobacco does keep long term and there is no smell leakage from the bags.

If I have multiple bags of the same blend, at that point I will heat seal them. But if I only have 1 bag of a blend, i’ll rely on the ‘ziploc’ style closure until it hasn’t worked.

I usually only bought from TopMylar, but I order some from Amazon with multiple sizes and am very happy. They even came with tiny labels.

I’ll post more pictures when I get a moment but right now its all my unopened tins and everything else is in Mylar except for some shake left from a few blends i’ll make my way through. The tote is bigger than it looks, 40 quarts. About 4 C&D 2 oz tins stacked high fit great.

Anyone else use Mylar over Mason Jars? Weight reduction and safety is a big factor for me, since I will be moving soon and will continue to move until I retire from Active Duty.

Ronv69
Founding Member

I use the same totes. Under the bed is full as are 2 cabinets. I refuse to store any in the barn so I'm stuck, all full up.
God and Texas!
kschatey

Nope, still mason jars in a filing cabinet for me.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

You guys with your hoarding habits! Lol... you are never going to smoke that much tobacco. :lol:
The Troll Whisperer
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Tsal wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:52 am You guys with your hoarding habits! Lol... you are never going to smoke that much tobacco. :lol:
Oh I am. And the prices have only gone up. When I started pipe smoking in 2015 a can from C&D was like 8 bucks. Now they are about 12. Thats mainly why i’m starting. Originally I never thought to cellar. But the price hikes have started and they will not go down.

Granted the quality of pipe tobacco is so high, it is still dirt cheap. It should be much more expensive.

But it will never be cheaper than it is now, so I buy my favorites when I can. I don’t branch out too much anymore.
Ronv69
Founding Member

Tsal wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:52 am You guys with your hoarding habits! Lol... you are never going to smoke that much tobacco. :lol:
You are so right. 😁
God and Texas!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I still have a bunch of stuff in Mason Jars. I'd love to make the switch to mylar exclusively but it's a daunting task and expense. I saw the writing on the wall early on with the pricing so I am stocked up and most of my stuff ages unintentionally
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
kschatey

My cellar is on the 5-10ish lb range. I hope to smoke through it all in a reasonable amount of time.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Ronv69 wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:16 am
You are so right. 😁
I showed my dad my one pound bag of Buttered Rum and he looked at me like I was crazy. :lol:
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Piping Abe wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:56 am
Oh I am. And the prices have only gone up. When I started pipe smoking in 2015 a can from C&D was like 8 bucks. Now they are about 12. Thats mainly why i’m starting. Originally I never thought to cellar. But the price hikes have started and they will not go down.

Granted the quality of pipe tobacco is so high, it is still dirt cheap. It should be much more expensive.

But it will never be cheaper than it is now, so I buy my favorites when I can. I don’t branch out too much anymore.
If this reasoning helps you sleep at night then I'm fine with it too.
The Troll Whisperer