Let’s talk Hot Sauce

Silver
Certified Codger

Nice bump! Better than talking about neck braces.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Right? Hot sauce threads should never die
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Louisiana hot sauce is a classic, and should be in the stable of every hot sauce lover. A dash or two livens up everything from eggs to pinto beans. I've even been known to splash a bit in the bottom of a saucer to dip cheddar slices in.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

MikeDennison wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:19 am Louisiana hot sauce is a classic, and should be in the stable of every hot sauce lover. A dash or two livens up everything from eggs to pinto beans. I've even been known to splash a bit in the bottom of a saucer to dip cheddar slices in.
I was so burned out on tobasco type sauces that I had ignored everything with a pepper vinegar base. My wife keeps a tiny bottle of tobasco around and so I gave it a whirl last week for the first time in probably 10 years. Still tasted like vinegar that got filtered through an almost flavorless pepper. Louisiana is the exact opposite for me. Plenty of pepper flavor and body with a little bit of heat and that zingy vinegar. It's great
PoolShooter

I really like mango habanero sauces, especially with carne asada. My mild taste is Cholula. A step up is Sriracha, which is right about my limit for all around use.

Pictured below:
1. Buffalo Wild Wings Mango Habanero(it loses half its heat when you cook it). Great for a sweet kick in the throat.

2. Melinda’s XXXtra Hot Habanero. Peppery, mildly sweet, a few drops are enough.

3. Valentina Xtra Hot. A step up from the original Valentina(On chicharones from the ice cream truck).

4. Melinda’s Ghost Pepper. Hot, but not ghost pepper hot. More of a money maker than a punishment. Raw ghost peppers are waaayy hotter. Whereas #1 lives up to the name.

5. Melinda’s Scorpion Pepper. Hot, but basically the same deal as #4.

6. Sriracha. As for flavor, this is one of my favorites.

I have masochistic tendencies when it comes to hot stuff. I once gobbled two handfuls of Carolina Reapers, five in each hand. By time I got to the second handful, my mouth had blisters and I was numb, so two fell out of my mouth, but I managed 8. Three hours later, I was getting my stomach pumped. All my friends ate one, so I wanted to prevent being beat. I’d rather jump out of an airplane again than subject myself to the pain of hell again.
“My beard is getting veddey long. I muss tell Vladimir.”
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

PoolShooter wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:57 am I really like mango habanero sauces, especially with carne asada. My mild taste is Cholula. A step up is Sriracha, which is right about my limit for all around use.

Pictured below:
1. Buffalo Wild Wings Mango Habanero(it loses half its heat when you cook it). Great for a sweet kick in the throat.

2. Melinda’s XXXtra Hot Habanero. Peppery, mildly sweet, a few drops are enough.

3. Valentina Xtra Hot. A step up from the original Valentina(On chicharones from the ice cream truck).

4. Melinda’s Ghost Pepper. Hot, but not ghost pepper hot. More of a money maker than a punishment. Raw ghost peppers are waaayy hotter. Whereas #1 lives up to the name.

I have masochistic tendencies when it comes to hot stuff. I once gobbled two handfuls of Carolina Reapers, five in each hand. By time I got to the second handful, my mouth had blisters and I was numb, so two fell out of my mouth, but I managed 8. Three hours later, I was getting my stomach pumped. All my friends ate one, so I wanted to prevent being beat. I’d rather jump out of an airplane again than subject myself to the pain of hell again.
Sriracha is one of the most underrated condiments ever. I actually like the YellowBird blue agave Sriracha quite a bit too. It's a bit sweeter than the rooster brand but it works well for certain foods
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:41 am
MikeDennison wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:19 am Louisiana hot sauce is a classic, and should be in the stable of every hot sauce lover. A dash or two livens up everything from eggs to pinto beans. I've even been known to splash a bit in the bottom of a saucer to dip cheddar slices in.
I was so burned out on tobasco type sauces that I had ignored everything with a pepper vinegar base. My wife keeps a tiny bottle of tobasco around and so I gave it a whirl last week for the first time in probably 10 years. Still tasted like vinegar that got filtered through an almost flavorless pepper. Louisiana is the exact opposite for me. Plenty of pepper flavor and body with a little bit of heat and that zingy vinegar. It's great
I feel the same about the vinegar base in so many sauces. What I taste is essentially very hot vinegar. That's one of the reasons I really like Jamaican style Scotch Bonnet sauces; just packed with wonderful flavor.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

MikeDennison wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:40 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:41 am
I feel the same about the vinegar base in so many sauces. What I taste is essentially very hot vinegar. That's one of the reasons I really like Jamaican style Scotch Bonnet sauces; just packed with wonderful flavor.
Now I have another browser tab open on my phone for scotch bonnet sauces. Another fun rabbit hole
pipedrum22
Member in Good Standing

PoolShooter wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:57 am I really like mango habanero sauces, especially with carne asada. My mild taste is Cholula. A step up is Sriracha, which is right about my limit for all around use.

Pictured below:

Everything I’ve had from Melinda’s has been fantastic. Valentina’s is fantastic and SO cheap. Some great ones here! If you haven’t tried Aardvark sauce I highly recommend that one.
“The sea was angry that day my friends!”
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

@MikeDennison do you have favorites in the scotch bonnet hot sauce world? I apologize if you already mentioned it here but I'm lazy today