A question on bent pipes

Big Iron
Member in Good Standing

Howdy gents,

I was looking at my rotation the other night and there are not very many bent pipes in there because ive had some rough experiences with the few full bent pipes ive had throughout the years. They feel great to clench, but the drawbacks of running into shotty drilling, not being able to pass a cleaner down through to the bowl to make adjustments mid smoke or clear a clog, as well as having to take it apart after each use to clean because i cant pass straight through has led to me being a straight pipe only kinda feller for a long time (slight bends ok too). However im wondering if im flawed in my thinking here and maybe it might be worth another shot at buying a full bend pipe at some point, was looking for some insight to what your personal experiences might have been. Also if anyone is a peterson system guy id love to hear about those as well.
"Keep your nose in the wind, your eye along the skyline"
Del Gue
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Yeah an occasional drawback of clogs or gurgling because of a stray tobacco leaf in the airway

Some of my full bent pipes don’t pass a cleaner while others do and others will do so with slight twist of the cleaner while going down. I think it is mainly just a learning curve for the particular pipe and tobacco being loaded in regard to the packing technique application

I like the full bent pipes made for filters and then just don’t use filters - more than likely passing a pipe cleaner midway through the smoke is no problem with those
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

I was more of the fan of bent pipes earlier as a smoker, but I have tended toward straights and slightly bents since.
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Fr_Tom wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:28 pm I was more of the fan of bent pipes earlier as a smoker, but I have tended toward straights and slightly bents since.
Yeah I was going to mention that pipe cleaners are overrated and @Fr_Tom don’t use many pipe cleaners until the pipe gets nice and juicy :D
Puff nstuff

I find I'm drawn to straight and up to quarter bent pipes. I have only a couple full bents, and the only one I smoke with any regularity is a Molina bent billiard. It's drilled for a 9mm filter, so even though I use a balsa insert it's got a wide open draw. The balsa really helps keep it gurgle-free no matter how wet the tobacco is or how much I slobber.
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
pipedrum22
Member in Good Standing

I’m a HUGE fan of Peterson system pipes. When you buy a Peterson, you’re also buying a piece of history. My grandfather smoked a Peterson system, as did my father, and now me. I’ll probably own several systems for different blends. Next to my meerschaums they’re the best smokers I own!
“The sea was angry that day my friends!”
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I only have one fairly heavily bent pipe nowadays. Everything else being straight or slightly bent. I'm of the opinion that unless you're going to pony up for a handmade pipe, stick to straights and slights. The factorys are full of schmucks that can't connect the dots on a full bend
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Silver
Certified Codger

I own a few bent pipes and even fewer that I truly enjoy smoking. I'm a straight to quarter-bent pipe kinda guy, too. I have wondered about making a half-bent (the first couple kits I did were halfbents), but came to my senses pretty quickly.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I think you're over thinking, just buy the bent you like and smoke it. If you have to pull the stem to clean it so what. I have had many Hungarians over the years that I've gifted or sold to buy a new pipe. They are comfy especially while you are driving.
The Troll Whisperer
Fr_Tom
Chaplain

rekamepip wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:33 pm
Fr_Tom wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:28 pm I was more of the fan of bent pipes earlier as a smoker, but I have tended toward straights and slightly bents since.
Yeah I was going to mention that pipe cleaners are overrated and @Fr_Tom don’t use many pipe cleaners until the pipe gets nice and juicy :D
I have noted my own pipe cleaner usage. The pipe in the car basically gets one when the draft hole is blocked, and I have to clear it. That "might" be every 5 or 6 bowls. Pipes smoked in the house get one every couple of bowls for some reason. They seem to have more issues with tar obstructions...
"Prov'dence don't fire no blank ca'tridges, boys" Roughing It, Mark Twain

Old Ted Award - 2017