Walnut Pipes

Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Ok so who’s gonna make some? Anyone can! Watch the 30 second video below

Wildcat
Codger in Training

Piping Abe wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:22 pm Ok so who’s gonna make some? Anyone can! Watch the 30 second video below

All pipes are better with Walnut. It's true, look it up.

Loved the video. It would be fun to try!
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Wildcat wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:44 pm
Piping Abe wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:22 pm Ok so who’s gonna make some? Anyone can! Watch the 30 second video below

All pipes are better with Walnut. It's true, look it up.
Love to try it one day. Still trying to find some Chestnut anywhwre but P&C for a decent price.

I think Sweet Cask is a good Match for Sugar Barrel. Need to grab a tin of that too.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Fun to try like I said but the issue is the reed stem.

The narrator said drinking straw... Reeds back in the day? No... I never heard of that. Wood??
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Wildcat wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:47 pm Fun to try like I said but the issue is the reed stem.

The narrator said drinking straw... Reeds back in the day? No... I never heard of that. Wood??
I would try a MM Stem and see how it works out. Could be fun.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Piping Abe wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:50 pm
Wildcat wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:47 pm Fun to try like I said but the issue is the reed stem.

I would try a MM Stem and see how it works out. Could be fun.
Too thick for a walnut tho... No? Maybe a stem off off an Eaton or one of their other small bowled pipes. There are resources out there for reeds I think anyway
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Isn't the actual walnut wood on the no no list for pipes? Doesn't matter because I'm not a gypsy and I also don't have one of those sweet hand drills
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Mr Beardsley wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:42 pm Isn't the actual walnut wood on the no no list for pipes? Doesn't matter because I'm not a gypsy and I also don't have one of those sweet hand drills
https://www.wood-database.com/black-walnut/
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:42 pm Isn't the actual walnut wood on the no no list for pipes? Doesn't matter because I'm not a gypsy and I also don't have one of those sweet hand drills
You'd know better than I Beards, but is the shell the same material as the wood itself? Know what I mean? Chemically etc, the same material?
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Wildcat wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:47 pm
You'd know better than I Beards, but is the shell the same material as the wood itself? Know what I mean? Chemically etc, the same material?
I don't know in all honesty. Somewhere (I think on pipe makers forum) there's a list of yay and nay for pipes. I know walnut is a wood that messes with my sinuses and lungs something fierce when I work it. But I do it anyway because I love it
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin