Ammo Can Humidor

ncrobb
Founding Member

So instead of working on things I owe out and should be doing, I have been goofing off in the shop. Knowing that Christmas would bring cigars, I hoped my mason jar humidor would be outgrown. Unsure if I’d like cigars enough to invest in a proper, nice humidor, I did what seemed to be the best compromise - made one from an ammo can. That way if cigars don’t continue at the ncrobb abode, I still have an ammo can. It seems those before me had the same idea and one enterprising soul sells kits with Spanish Cedar and any level of accoutrement you might need to make one. But I’m thrifty and somewhat handy in the shop so I made due with what I had available. I picked up a new .50 caliber ammo can and washed it and the seal in hot soapy water. The interior is lined with Eastern Red Cedar from my FILs stash that ended up at my house. I planed the strips he had cut to 1/4” thick and glued up appropriately sized blanks to make a bottom, 4 sides and a drop in shelf. I used Titebond III glue as it’s pretty moisture resistent and FDA approved. I trimmed the glued up panels and sanded them then glued up the box liner. I added a couple strips to support the shelf. Just because and for looks, I wrapped the handles with leather and added some small leather “feet” so it doesn’t scratch anything it sits on. I picked up a hygrometer and some Boveda packs at JRs and used the distilled water & sponge method to season it. So far it seems to be settled in at 69-70% relative humidity. I know Red Cedar isn’t optimal but it was on the list of three woods used as liners and the price was right. Who knows? I may graduate to a real humidor at some point.

“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Very cool!👍
The Troll Whisperer
Silver
Certified Codger

I like it. Nice work!
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Dude that is fantastic
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
pipedrum22
Member in Good Standing

Freaking genius
“The sea was angry that day my friends!”
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Awesome 😎
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Very cool! :thumbs:
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Awesome idea. Love it. I just use a rubbermaid brilliance 9.6 cup.
ncrobb
Founding Member

Piping Abe wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:50 pm Awesome idea. Love it. I just use a rubbermaid brilliance 9.6 cup.
I kept my little Macanudo ascots in a mason jar. I had one of those acrylic jars but it’s got goofy graphics all over it. I didn’t buy it, a co-worker unloaded its ugliness on me some years ago. I’d drop into JRs, the Briary or the Cigar Club outside of Nashville and buy one cigar at a time. I figured to try and figure out a couple I like and keep them around.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Looks excellent !! Is that red cedar aromatic ? I hope not because it will impart that aroma on the cigars and its not the same as Spanish cedar . Dont mean to be a downer , but if its the kind Im thinking , though Im not familiar with cedars so much , it will make the cigars taste bad . If its very little or no aromatic , itll probably be fine
I went into a cigar joint in the 90's in Maine . The guy just opened and built a walk in humidor but lined it with a cedar other than spanish .. my eyes burned a bit walking in it . I hated telling him . He was new and didnt know the difference . The cigars almost tasted like turpentine
I hate being a downer and I hope Im wrong
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.