Need help with Amphora

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Fidibusz wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:40 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:01 pm
Fidibusz wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:43 pm

Thanks. Kentucky is on my list for next order along with more Burley Blend. To me the Amphora Burley Blend is better than the Mac B HH Burley Flake.
:o .. seriously !?
I just tastes better to me. Probably a personal preference. I don’t have a sophisticated palate but Amphora Burley Blend has a more complex burley flavor to me.
Its on my order list :thumbs:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I know Amphora is not a tobacconist's tobacco. Would you classify this as a newsstand tobacco, a drugstore tobacco, or a gas station blend?

Nothing about Amphora has ever tempted me to go out of my way to find it so I am curious.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Citizen B wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:03 pm I know Amphora is not a tobacconist's tobacco. Would you classify this as a newsstand tobacco, a drugstore tobacco, or a gas station blend?

Nothing about Amphora has ever tempted me to go out of my way to find it so I am curious.
Its made by MacBaren. But better than all their standard blends and holds its own compared to the HH Line. Good stuff. Doesn’t bite.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Piping Abe wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:07 pm
Citizen B wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:03 pm I know Amphora is not a tobacconist's tobacco. Would you classify this as a newsstand tobacco, a drugstore tobacco, or a gas station blend?

Its made by MacBaren. But better than all their standard blends and holds its own compared to the HH Line. Good stuff. Doesn’t bite.
I was going to say, I wouldn't quite classify it as a traditional OTC type blend but it also doesn't have the prestigious reputation of a Dunhill tin. Sort of a classed up OTC reputation. I've only had the original and it was so long ago that I don't remember a thing about it
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
pipedrum22
Member in Good Standing

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:38 pm

I was going to say, I wouldn't quite classify it as a traditional OTC type blend but it also doesn't have the prestigious reputation of a Dunhill tin. Sort of a classed up OTC reputation. I've only had the original and it was so long ago that I don't remember a thing about it
I still feel like it needs something (referring to full aroma version). Maybe something to spice it up? Just feels incomplete to me. But it packs well and burns well and you don’t have to think about it.
“The sea was angry that day my friends!”
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

pipedrum22 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:06 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:38 pm

I still feel like it needs something (referring to full aroma version). Maybe something to spice it up? Just feels incomplete to me. But it packs well and burns well and you don’t have to think about it.
I find that a hearty pinch of perique fixes pretty much everything
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

My experience with Amphora is limited but positive. I had some that I'd jarred for a few years...not purposefully aged, just forgotten. Can't remember what type it was, but it was a good, high quality burley. I liked it.

But strangely, but enough to reorder when I'd emptied the jar.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Not today , but in the past , it was a popular OTC . Basically , if there was a place that had pouches , they usually had Amphora Red and Brown .
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.