Plug cutting knife

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:31 pm Ive got one from Alaska . Jennifers mom scored one while there years ago . The one I have , the steel is too thick , imho , for slicing plug . Even with the type edge it has .Yeah , I wouldnt use it for that but maybe somebody else has " the touch " with it but I dont think I could swing it

That's a beauty! Your comment about the thickness is why I'm thinking single bevel if I can track one down
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:49 am I'm glad I used the search button instead of starting a new topic that would end up being redundant. Has anyone ever used or tried to use an Ulu or similar for cutting tobacco? It seems like the natural cutting motion would be perfect but I think I'd prefer a single edge bevel instead of both sides of the blade being ground. Thoughts? Experiences?
Forget this thing altogether for slicing thin slices of tobacco. You will end up doing more harm than good. You already have 500 knives.
The Troll Whisperer
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Tsal wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:02 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:49 am I'm glad I used the search button instead of starting a new topic that would end up being redundant. Has anyone ever used or tried to use an Ulu or similar for cutting tobacco? It seems like the natural cutting motion would be perfect but I think I'd prefer a single edge bevel instead of both sides of the blade being ground. Thoughts? Experiences?
Forget this thing altogether for slicing thin slices of tobacco. You will end up doing more harm than good. You already have 500 knives.
499. That one would be 500 :lol:
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
PoolShooter

Cheap Smith & Wesson from Walmart.
“My beard is getting veddey long. I muss tell Vladimir.”
Puff nstuff

Ruffinogold wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:31 pm Ive got one from Alaska . Jennifers mom scored one while there years ago . The one I have , the steel is too thick , imho , for slicing plug . Even with the type edge it has .Yeah , I wouldnt use it for that but maybe somebody else has " the touch " with it but I dont think I could swing it

I have one of those, too, given to me by a family member after a trip to Alaska years ago. It never occurred to me to use it for tobacco. Works great for skinning a salmon fillet, though.

Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪
Chef Benny
Codger in Training

Opinel knives are nice, and reasonably priced!
~ Tobacco is part of a complete breakfast.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:07 pm
Tsal wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:02 pm
499. That one would be 500 :lol:
Oh.. yeah, well then you have to have one. :lol:
The Troll Whisperer
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Puff nstuff wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:19 am

I have one of those, too, given to me by a family member after a trip to Alaska years ago. It never occurred to me to use it for tobacco. Works great for skinning a salmon fillet, though.

That poor salmon filet. Lol
The Troll Whisperer
Sheridan

I smoke a lot of plug & have found that any cheap pocket knife does the job. Most important thing to have is a good knife sharpener. Opinel #6 is probably the best blade I’ve got for plugs, nice thin slices. All these fancy knives & plug cutters, whilst very nice to look at, are all a bit of an overkill I think.
Puff nstuff

Tsal wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:03 am
Puff nstuff wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:19 am

That poor salmon filet. Lol
Not my first choice as a fillet knife, but it was effective when I tried it.
Because sometimes the body just wants canned fish. 🦪