JR Alternative Cigars?

ncrobb
Founding Member

I know some of you guys have to have tried or do smoke the JR Alternative Cigars. What are your thoughts and favorites?
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Ronv69
Founding Member

No, but I have smoked some "alternative" cigarettes. 😜
God and Texas!
ncrobb
Founding Member

Ronv69 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:59 am No, but I have smoked some "alternative" cigarettes. 😜
Statute of Limitations. I gotcha.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I've wondered about the "off brand" sticks too. There's a lot of sites out there selling house brand sticks (like zeal) that definitely come out of the regular factories. On top of that you can also hit cigarpage and find things like Oliva seconds relatively cheap and relatively often. As a matter of fact for cigar bargains in general I'd say just stick with cigarpage
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Ive had a few JR alternatives . I think they are ok . I dont know if they really are similar in taste to what they are supposedly being an alternative to, nor if they are consistent over time . I know the sizes are pretty accurate

What Im sayin , I think , is that if you buy a Fuente Spanish Lonsdale alternative ... it may be the same size and maybe even a similar blend , though I dont think the alternatives mention an origin of blend .. but it wont taste like a Fuente

For a cheap mild cigar , I go with Casa Garcia Connecticut ... any of the sizes of those are good
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Silver
Certified Codger

To me, all the JR Alternatives taste the same. I've only had a few of the Cuban Alternatives, they're not even close.
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I have had Cuban alternative to Cohiba Robustos and can recommend them
FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
pipedrum22
Member in Good Standing

When sites like cigarbid exist there’s no need to buy the alternatives. Just buy the ones you want at great prices.
“The sea was angry that day my friends!”
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

pipedrum22 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:52 pm When sites like cigarbid exist there’s no need to buy the alternatives. Just buy the ones you want at great prices.
Cigarbid goes into cycles of stupidity where people pay over regular retail or just a tad under. I no longer recommend even bothering with it when cigarpage is solid on the daily and can be great on burner days
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:03 pm
pipedrum22 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:52 pm When sites like cigarbid exist there’s no need to buy the alternatives. Just buy the ones you want at great prices.
Cigarbid goes into cycles of stupidity where people pay over
The few items I’ve had on my watch list have been going way over what I would consider to be a good deal
But I’m cheap and wait and wait……..
Once in a while something falls through the cracks and ends up being a sleeper
If I win one item in a shipping period I look harder to find something else to toss in but tend to double check prices on the free fall and other sites to compare prices