My wife is an artist......

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

ncrobb wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:23 pm She works in fabric and thread. This is the latest quilt she is working on. Today she is hand stitching the binding on so it’s almost finished. Nothing feels “warm and loved” like a hand made quilt. Our house and our children’s houses are full of her quilts. We have some that her grandmother and my mother made, but my wife’s work is the cat’s meow. She has taught classes and made sample quilts that hang in quilt shops to show what a pattern will look like. She makes smaller ones for Veterans and folks with health issues.

Wow man ! I know what that takes to do . Back in the day , when I used to come to this area to hike and camp in the 80s , there were places on the small highways where families still sold quilts . It was so wonderful talking with those women back then . My X has the quilt we had purchased from a lady back then . It was a good money maker for them and they are just fantastic !

Tell her I said it looks wonderful and that when its done ... you need to take her out for dinner :D
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
BlueRidge
Member in Good Standing

pretty cool @ncrobb. my wife has made a couple "barn" quilts and can do it all but I think she calls the backing or finishing.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Wow...that's wonderful work, Robb. Your wife has skills and talent, that's for sure. My granny used to make quilts...I can remember watching her cut up pieces of old shirts, blouses, skirts, whatever, to make pieces for quilting.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
mrpipster
Solid Citizen

Quilting is still a big deal around here.
"Fear is the Mother of Morality." Friedrich Nietzsche
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Thats a wonderful talent. And beautiful quilt.
Ronv69
Founding Member

My wife has a talent too. She wants to know if she sells them.
God and Texas!
ncrobb
Founding Member

Ronv69 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:36 pm My wife has a talent too. She wants to know if she sells them.
No, she gives the full size ones to family mainly and occasionally to friends for something special. A few years ago she priced one to a gentleman and she had a couple hundred dollars into it just for fabric, thread and batten not counting any of her time. After the sticker shock wore off he declined. :roll:
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

ncrobb wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:04 pm
Ronv69 wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:36 pm My wife has a talent too. She wants to know if she sells them.
No, she gives the full size ones to family mainly and occasionally to friends for something special. A few years ago she priced one to a gentleman and she had a couple hundred dollars into it just for fabric, thread and batten not counting any of her time. After the sticker shock wore off he declined. :roll:
Man. Some friends almost messed their trousers when they asked me to ballpark a quote on a table they had a picture of and "loved". They couldn't figure out how I could say 8-10k for just the table. Well the slab was 2k, then you add another 1k in epoxy, then probably another 1-2k for the base. Plus I'd have to buy a new flattening setup because mine isn't big enough. There wasn't much profit in the quote due to the amount of labor considering that you have to flatten before you can do epoxy and then flatten again. Then mortise in steel bars to stabilize across the center erc etc. Just because someone can condense 2 weeks of work into a 45 second video on Instagram doesn't mean it's that quick or easy.
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ronv69
Founding Member

ncrobb wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:04 pm
I understand. I've seen a $40k quilt. All white and perfectly hand stitched. It was perfectly interlocking hand outlines. You'd have to see it to believe it. She was thinking hundreds of dollars, but not thousands.
God and Texas!
ncrobb
Founding Member

@Mr Beardsley I’m right there with you. I’ve built everything from Barbie furniture to guitar amplifiers in my shop. Done car and motorcycle work and made a ton of custom knives. I try not to say “No” to people but sometimes the project is more than I want to tie myself up on or I have to buy tooling to make it happen so I price it accordingly. I have been told by a couple folks I don’t charge enough which is odd. A gentleman who I learned a great deal from told me once to never start taking commissions in as work. Build what you want to build and offer it for sale, otherwise it becomes work. My shop became work when I had 9 guys (literally) asking when it was their turn for me to build or fix something I had promised them. I worked though them and closed the doors to any outside work for years. I started back with a couple of knives a year or so ago and now I owe three out already. I guess I didn’t learn.

Dang, I just derailed my own thread.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett