Getting Back into Aromatics

Presby John-Dave

I picked up a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic today from a shop near my house but didn't enjoy the smoke all that much. I know it's not the cream of the crop as far as brands go, but I felt the price was right for picking up something on the go. I forgot how hot aromatics can burn. I wasn't digging the flavor either.

What would you recommend for someone to try when getting back into the aromatic game? I have my eye on Cornell and Diehl Autumn Evening, Sutliff Barbados Plantation, and Lane Limited 1-Q.
Comes meus fuit in illo miserrimo tempore - Sir Walter Raleigh
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Ya know, tastes regarding aros are so varied that it's really hard to recommend something. For instance, I like SWRA. I'm sure some of the lads here will recommend the floral aros of the higher end Brit tobaccos, but I suggest trying a samples of the bulk Low Country aros featured on smokingpipes.com. If I recall, there's a few options...my favorite being the vanilla. Also, maybe try a tin of Stanwell Melange, which has more of an apricot thing going on. I enjoy that now and again as well.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

SWRA is solid but far from the most exciting smoke in the world. My go to full blown aromatic is MacBaren vanilla flake which is also available in a loose cut. The vanilla roll cake is supposed to be fantastic but I have no experience. If you want something uber cheap and slightly aromatic but still having some gumption look into grand croupier jackpot
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:40 pm SWRA is solid but far from the most exciting smoke in the world. My go to full blown aromatic is MacBaren vanilla flake which is also available in a loose cut. The vanilla roll cake is supposed to be fantastic but I have no experience. If you want something uber cheap and slightly aromatic but still having some gumption look into grand croupier jackpot
I'd forgotten about the MacBaren Vanilla Flake...that is good stuff.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
pipedrum22
Member in Good Standing

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:40 pm SWRA is solid but far from the most exciting smoke in the world. My go to full blown aromatic is MacBaren vanilla flake which is also available in a loose cut. The vanilla roll cake is supposed to be fantastic but I have no experience. If you want something uber cheap and slightly aromatic but still having some gumption look into grand croupier jackpot
I have a tin of the roll cake. Need to pop it and explore.
“The sea was angry that day my friends!”
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

The Low Country brand of Aromatics is fantastic. Flavoring with an awesome tobacco taste. It doesnt taste like powdered air. Like most do. My favorote full flavored aromatics are the East Inda Trading Company blends. There are 3 and they are very unnoticed and underrated.
Wildcat
Codger in Training

Presby John-Dave wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:09 pm I picked up a pouch of Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic... I know it's not the cream of the crop as far as brands go...
Careful, thems could be fightin' words 'round here :lol:

Some I enjoy;
SWRA
Sutliff Vanilla Custard
Sutliff Rum&Maple
WCC None of Your Business
I recently tried LC Vanilla and it's very nice.
I wonder if "blame Wildcat" will become a theme here? - Fr_Tom
Caligator

Aromatics only occupy a very small part of my rotation, and I've never been a huge fan of the cloying, fruity varities, but... I do love Boswell's Piper's Pleasure. The pouch description claims vanilla and coffee as part of the blend, but for me it's all about the chocolate. From time-to-time I mix condimental amounts of Piper's Pleasure in with other blends, too; straight burleys mostly. Pairing a mix like that with a morning coffee is, for me, sublime.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Caligator wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:40 pm Aromatics only occupy a very small part of my rotation, and I've never been a huge fan of the cloying, fruity varities, but... I do love Boswell's Piper's Pleasure. The pouch description claims vanilla and coffee as part of the blend, but for me it's all about the chocolate. From time-to-time I mix condimental amounts of Piper's Pleasure in with other blends, too; straight burleys mostly. Pairing a mix like that with a morning coffee is, for me, sublime.
Welcome to PSF. Make an Intro and tell us about yourself friend.
Caligator

Piping Abe wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:13 pm
Caligator wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:40 pm Aromatics only occupy a very small part of my rotation, and I've never been a huge fan of the cloying, fruity varities, but... I do love Boswell's Piper's Pleasure. The pouch description claims vanilla and coffee as part of the blend, but for me it's all about the chocolate. From time-to-time I mix condimental amounts of Piper's Pleasure in with other blends, too; straight burleys mostly. Pairing a mix like that with a morning coffee is, for me, sublime.
Welcome to PSF. Make an Intro and tell us about yourself friend.
Done! And Thank you!