Knife family photo

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Piping Abe wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:20 pm
Citizen B wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:49 pm The eagle has landed, unexpectedly, on my doorstep. I was not expecting it.

Life is full of small unexpected surprises, all of them good when you spend time in good company.

I like my new pocket knife. I showed it to Mrs. King. I wanted @Piping Abe to keep it. He carved the handle. He carved my initials in its handle: MK. Like most people in my day-to-day life, Abe calls me Mister.

He did a great job. I am blushing. I will right up a full review of his craftsmanship after I put this knife through the paces. It is a high-carbon blade with a custom-built handle that fits like a sword hilt when I hold it.
Awesome! MK for Matthew King.

It was my first time trying something like that and I really enjoyed it. I hope you enjoy using it as much as I enjoyed making it. It was lot of fun. I know the other items in the package wont last long :thumbs:
I like it a lot, Abe. It fits my hand. Mrs. King tried it and she said, 'This is made for a man's hand." Thank you. This handle fits my hand perfectly.

I wasn't expecting you to return it but I am not complaining. You have a friend in New Orleans. You do nice work. I like it---I like it a lot. I have a new pocket knife. Thank you again.

I have an old Opinel and, now, I have a new one. I like the new one.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

A parcel arrived in the mail yesterday which made me happy. The parcel’s contents are in my pocket. Somebody has carved me a pocketknife without my expecting it. He engraved my initials, MK, on the handle. The M stands for Mister. I took a photo of it with my previous knife, which I am not abandoning but temporarily relieving from active duty.

My stained knife is on sabbatical. If I let it rest too long, it will get rusty. Discipline is destiny. Unused muscles atrophy and there is nothing worse than a rusty knife when its owner wants to cut some radishes.

My old knife has reliably performed day-in and day-out for years. It deserves a rest from opening packages and sharpening pencils.

----I know you already know I have this knife and that it came the day before yesterday, I think. I am just sharing how I am remembering it. It is very nice, but, I think, the tip of the blade may prick me, even when closed. I have not tested this theory. I am testing this knife in the field. I am not carrying my old knife, only this one from @Piping Abe . I used it to trim some wild ginger this morning but I haven't otherwise found a need to deploy it, except to show it off.

Everyone is impressed.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Citizen B wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 2:54 pm A parcel arrived in the mail yesterday which made me happy. The parcel’s contents are in my pocket. Somebody has carved me a pocketknife without my expecting it. He engraved my initials, MK, on the handle. The M stands for Mister. I took a photo of it with my previous knife, which I am not abandoning but temporarily relieving from active duty.

My stained knife is on sabbatical. If I let it rest too long, it will get rusty. Discipline is destiny. Unused muscles atrophy and there is nothing worse than a rusty knife when its owner wants to cut some radishes.

My old knife has reliably performed day-in and day-out for years. It deserves a rest from opening packages and sharpening pencils.

----I know you already know I have this knife and that it came the day before yesterday, I think. I am just sharing how I am remembering it. It is very nice, but, I think, the tip of the blade may prick me, even when closed. I have not tested this theory. I am testing this knife in the field. I am not carrying my old knife, only this one from @Piping Abe . I used it to trim some wild ginger this morning but I haven't otherwise found a need to deploy it, except to show it off.

Everyone is impressed.
If the tip is exposed when closed I would think it will wear in over time, closing deeper into the handle. If it doesn’t get better, I could probably fix it. But put it to the test. I hope it serves you well.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Tsal wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:58 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:46 pm I finally got around to it this afternoon ....

The sweet potato isnt very big and the knife is pretty big ... so , I guess it may work

What the hell are you doing!? :lol:
lol , right ... I was trying to be a hipster and it was about as cracked up as I thought i'd be . My spin is that Ill not try it again . I just wanted to see what the thing was about :thumbs:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Ruffinogold wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:37 pm
Tsal wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:58 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:46 pm I finally got around to it this afternoon ....

The sweet potato isnt very big and the knife is pretty big ... so , I guess it may work

What the hell are you doing!? :lol:
lol , right ... I was trying to be a hipster and it was about as cracked up as I thought i'd be . My spin is that Ill not try it again . I just wanted to see what the thing was about :thumbs:
:lol:
You get a pass. You already patinaed that blade up using a different method.
The Troll Whisperer
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Citizen B wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:06 pm
Citizen B wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:49 pm The eagle has landed, unexpectedly, on my doorstep. I was not expecting it.

Life is full of small unexpected surprises, all of them good when you spend time in good company.

I like my new pocket knife. I showed it to Mrs. King. I wanted @Piping Abe to keep it. He carved the handle. He carved my initials in its handle: MK. Like most people in my day-to-day life, Abe calls me Mister.

He did a great job. I am blushing. I will right up a full review of his craftsmanship after I put this knife through the paces. It is a high-carbon blade with a custom-built handle that fits like a sword hilt when I hold it.

It was my first time trying something like that and I really enjoyed it. I hope you enjoy using it as much as I enjoyed making it. It was lot of fun. I know the other items in the package wont last long :thumbs:
I like it a lot, Abe. It fits my hand. Mrs. King tried it and she said, 'This is made for a man's hand." Thank you. This handle fits my hand perfectly.

I wasn't expecting you to return it but I am not complaining. You have a friend in New Orleans. You do nice work. I like it---I like it a lot. I have a new pocket knife. Thank you again.

Coolest pic ever man :thumbs:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:52 pm

Holy sh!t :lol:
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

@Citizen B how’s that new knife working out for you?
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Piping Abe wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:28 am @Citizen B how’s that new knife working out for you?
Well, to tell you the truth, I am thinking about sending it back to you for a tune up. It still keeps pricking my finger because the blade tip pokes out of the handle just enough to be a bloody irritant. I keep pricking my finger when I put my hand in my pocket. I wasn't going to say anything but since you asked...

Just yesterday a friend asked me why I am not carrying my new knife. I gave her the same reason. She asked because I pulled out my old Opinel, locked the blade, and scraped some glue off a hard surface. That is when she noticed I was using my old, well-worn Opinel versus the spiffy custom model I had been showing off weeks before.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.