SharpFingers

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

The sharp fingers

The Old Timer Sharp Finger and I go way back . Ive considered it to be the best all around knife . Sure , it sucks for a camp knife , but for most everything else its wonderful

I retired my Old Timer years ago for a couple reasons ... I lost the sheath and I would lose the knife off and on so much that I bought what was probably the last Western USA brand large skinner , Im guessing around late 80s ? There is a reason for getting the bigger fixed skinner , not because it did a better job at field dressing , but because the hunting I was doing at that time I was able to dress and quarter etc out in the field with it in camp and just carry it and a small pocket knife
Sharp fingers are excellent for field dressing and can only be equaled by a spey on a stockman or similar [ imho ] . Its best if the pattern is set up for the spey to have an upswept design

Anyway , so I retired it and used the western . Fast forward a bazillion years and @ncrobb gave me the Dupree ! I dont know why he did but I wasnt gonna ask or complain ... its the coolest knife ever , so ya know . It feels fantastic and the sheath is killer . Its perfect . If I were fortunate to ever go hunting Pronghorn or Dall Sheep , something Ive always wanted to do , I would bring it because it would be special to me

I recently purchased the China made Western Brand sharp finger because I was carrying the Dupree on my property and almost did something stupid with it and thought .. I need to get a beater sharp finger . Tractor supply had it for 10 bucks or something crazy like that . The steel on it is way soft and its much lighter in weight than the other two by a good bit but feels pretty good and Ive only used it a bit

The USA Western Skinner , which is some kind of stainless , I used from the time I got it through the 90s . Larger skinners are bulky and harder to field dress with , for me anyway , but I was able to do anything with this knife . The rubber grip on it is super fantastic and it sharpens in a flash . It enabled me to do everything I needed to do , just not perfectly lol . I have to choke up on it half the time which isnt so great but it works

" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Why did @ncrobb give you that gift? Well, because that's just the kinda guy he is.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

MikeDennison wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:13 pm Why did @ncrobb give you that gift? Well, because that's just the kinda guy he is.
Absolutely :D
ncrobb
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:30 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:13 pm Why did @ncrobb give you that gift? Well, because that's just the kinda guy he is.
Absolutely :D
Y’all are making me blush. Just passing along a smile if I can.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
BlueRidge
Member in Good Standing

all time favorite whitetail unzipper. I have several US made Old Timer patterns and some version of them is being made as we speak in the US with 1095 and bone scales https://www.theoldtimer.com/everyday/?p ... USA%20Made

here's an old 152OT the reissue and an in what has to be an inspired sharpfinger by sargent edged tools. photo taken inside at night so yeah best I could do

BlueRidge
Member in Good Standing

btw no editing is brutal after reading what you've typed on a phone lmao
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

BlueRidge wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:20 pm btw no editing is brutal after reading what you've typed on a phone lmao
You can edit your post for a certain amount of time after you hit post. Click on the pencil icon and viola
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

BlueRidge wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:57 pm all time favorite whitetail unzipper. I have several US made Old Timer patterns and some version of them is being made as we speak in the US with 1095 and bone scales https://www.theoldtimer.com/everyday/?p ... USA%20Made

here's an old 152OT the reissue and an in what has to be an inspired sharpfinger by sargent edged tools. photo taken inside at night so yeah best I could do

Aw man , I really like those :thumbs: