Health Wake Up Call

rlucas
Member in Good Standing

I've tried the keto, weight watchers, low carb, low cal. Probably all the diets. They all worked until they didn't. Meaning I would lose 10-15lbs, then gain it right back again while still on the diet. I exercise regularly 3-4 days a week. If it weren't for my grandkids I probably wouldn't worry about. Currently trying the golo to see if that works.
"That's mighty bold talk for a one eyed fat man!" -Lucky Ned Pepper.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

@Piping Abe, I hear ya on fruit and carbs being sources of sugar. Not being a huge consumer of fruit anyway, that's not much of an issue. But like you, @Mr Beardsley, I'll have an apple if I feel like it. I rarely feel like having a carrot. :D Right now, I really feel like having a freakin' pizza! I'm being quite strict with myself right now because I know me; I have to really get on the wagon. But long term, I'm looking for balance.

@rlucas, I've tried a lot of things too and never lost more than ten pounds. Most weight I've ever lost was 30 lbs counting calories and going to the gym five days a week to be tortured by a trainer. But I couldn't keep that pace up. Plus I hated the gym more than I can say. Keep me posted on how golo is working for ya.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

MikeDennison wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:31 pm @Piping Abe, I hear ya on fruit and carbs being sources of sugar. Not being a huge consumer of fruit anyway, that's not much of an issue. But like you, @Mr Beardsley, I'll have an apple if I feel like it. I rarely feel like having a carrot. :D Right now, I really feel like having a freakin' pizza! I'm being quite strict with myself right now because I know me; I have to really get on the wagon. But long term, I'm looking for balance.

@rlucas, I've tried a lot of things too and never lost more than ten pounds. Most weight I've ever lost was 30 lbs counting calories and going to the gym five days a week to be tortured by a trainer. But I couldn't keep that pace up. Plus I hated the gym more than I can say. Keep me posted on how golo is working for ya.
The cauliflower crust pizzas from the freezer section at Costco ain't perfect in the keto scheme but they aren't the worst thing you can do to yourself either
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:36 pm
MikeDennison wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:31 pm @Piping Abe, I hear ya on fruit and carbs being sources of sugar. Not being a huge consumer of fruit anyway, that's not much of an issue. But like you, @Mr Beardsley, I'll have an apple if I feel like it. I rarely feel like having a carrot. :D Right now, I really feel like having a freakin' pizza! I'm being quite strict with myself right now because I know me; I have to really get on the wagon. But long term, I'm looking for balance.

The cauliflower crust pizzas from the freezer section at Costco ain't perfect in the keto scheme but they aren't the worst thing you can do to yourself either
I'll look for'em. And the cauliflower rice sounds kinda interesting, too. (GAD! I'd NEVER have thought I'd hear myself say something like that.)
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

MikeDennison wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:37 pm

I'll look for'em. And the cauliflower rice sounds kinda interesting, too. (GAD! I'd NEVER have thought I'd hear myself say something like that.)
Gotta put some color on it when cooking or else it just tastes like bits of cauliflower crap
pipedrum22
Member in Good Standing

MikeDennison wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:37 pm

My wife will make whipped cauliflower rice with salt pepper garlic powder and cheese. Gets pretty darn close to a cheesy mashed potato.
“The sea was angry that day my friends!”
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

pipedrum22 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:59 pm My wife will make whipped cauliflower rice with salt pepper garlic powder and cheese. Gets pretty darn close to a cheesy mashed potato.
That actually sounds pretty yum!
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Well, it's been three weeks today since I started this journey. I've lost a few pounds... nothing crazy...but I guess that slow is better anyway. I've also managed to stay focused on the higher protein/lower carb/more fresh veg eating plan. So it's all good.

I did have a cheeseburger and fries on Tuesday while at lunch with friends, but that's been it. And I didn't think it was "all that and a bag o' chips", so I guess I'm adjusting. Feeling better, too....so that's something.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Yesterday I did a Mexican style pork butt(it's under the wife's heavy handed cheesing, trust me) threw lawrys season salt, fresh cracked pepper, chili powder, and taco seasoning at it and ran it on the pellet grill. Once it hit 160 internal temp I tossed it in a steamer pan with a splash (like 4-8oz) of hot enchilada sauce, sliced onion, and a few extra cloves of garlic for good luck. Pulled off at 203 internal and rested for a couple of hours. Shredded her up (with the onion and garlic of course) and finished with a light drizzle of the cooking liquid. Had 2 giant tacos, one on romaine and one on a low carb tortilla with romaine and a sprinkle of El yucateco Caribbean. I don't miss carbs, and "diet foods" don't need to be boring
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:04 pm Yesterday I did a Mexican style pork butt(it's under the wife's heavy handed cheesing, trust me) threw lawrys season salt, fresh cracked pepper, chili powder, and taco seasoning at it and ran it on the pellet grill. Once it hit 160 internal temp I tossed it in a steamer pan with a splash (like 4-8oz) of hot enchilada sauce, sliced onion, and a few extra cloves of garlic for good luck. Pulled off at 203 internal and rested for a couple of hours. Shredded her up (with the onion and garlic of course) and finished with a light drizzle of the cooking liquid. Had 2 giant tacos, one on romaine and one on a low carb tortilla with romaine and a sprinkle of El yucateco Caribbean. I don't miss carbs, and "diet foods" don't need to be boring
Are you sure there is pork on this? All I see is a salad.
The Troll Whisperer