The official what bourbon/whisky are you drinking

Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:10 pm Lately , Ive been bouncing back and forth between my " trinity " of cheap bourbons . Im talking big handle bottles you can get for 20 to 25 bucks .

Henry McKenna 80 , Very Old Barton 90 and Virgin bourbon 101 .... then it dawns on me why I cant settle on one . Maybe subconsciously Ill be in the mood for a 80 , 90 or 101 proof [ ? ] ....
of the many Very Old Bartons , I think the 90 is the one ! I was confused with it when I was trying that brand out for a while because I didnt realize the different proofs . Turns out Ive had them all over time ... I believe theres an 80 , 86 , 90 and 100 . My buddy Simon and I both agree that the 90 is the best so it must be true

OGD 114 is still the greatest for me . I had some a few nights ago .... my goodness that stuff is wonderful . I really think the other 2 OGD are wanting to be the 114 . The flavor of what the others are after is realized in the 114 . Its still between 32 and 35 for a regular size bottle here locally
I got a gallon of Black Berry Brandy 110 proof i’ve been sippin on..
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Piping Abe wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:43 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 12:10 pm Lately , Ive been bouncing back and forth between my " trinity " of cheap bourbons . Im talking big handle bottles you can get for 20 to 25 bucks .

Henry McKenna 80 , Very Old Barton 90 and Virgin bourbon 101 .... then it dawns on me why I cant settle on one . Maybe subconsciously Ill be in the mood for a 80 , 90 or 101 proof [ ? ] ....
of the many Very Old Bartons , I think the 90 is the one ! I was confused with it when I was trying that brand out for a while because I didnt realize the different proofs . Turns out Ive had them all over time ... I believe theres an 80 , 86 , 90 and 100 . My buddy Simon and I both agree that the 90 is the best so it must be true

OGD 114 is still the greatest for me . I had some a few nights ago .... my goodness that stuff is wonderful . I really think the other 2 OGD are wanting to be the 114 . The flavor of what the others are after is realized in the 114 . Its still between 32 and 35 for a regular size bottle here locally
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:12 pm
Piping Abe wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:43 pm

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

This was very interesting. I find it improbable but I don't hang around with habitual rummies as a general rule. I'm not a whiskey drinker by choice.

-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

Four Roses Bourbon kick lately, tried an Irish Whiskey but it didn’t cut it. I have some Black Velvet on the shelf next to the small batch Evans Williams.
I think I need to add a bottle of Basil Hayden Rye
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

More four roses in the coffee cup !
Nod to the fellow veterans here, the one weekend I can put the wife on grill duty!
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

I have a friend that has a health condition and he is on a fixed income . He enjoys drinking whiskey and , given his condition , he can have all of it he wants . im fortunate enough to be the guy that gets it for him because he's pretty much unable to leave his room , sadly . So , thats the the back story to this friend that Ive known for 23 years ... that said , he's not a bougie dude and is always eye balling a good drink for a good price thats inexpensive . Im jumping on that band wagon as well being I have to start saving to build a new " barn " .....................

........ which brings me to Ten High Whiskey . Its made by Barton , so I figure I like Barton and would give it a go . I get Simon and myself one to try with no high expectations . I pop the GLASS bottle and give it a whiff .... Hmmmm , theres something going on in the aroma that is exceptional ..... I pour some in a glass and drink ..... ok , theres a flavor there that is really fantastic and it kinda surrounds the " whiskey flavor " , if that makes sense .

The flavors arent very pronounced ... they are a little " thin " .... but theres something there that is really really good and I cant get my head around it , not that it matters if I do or dont .

So I get to looking at the label for the hell of it . By the way , I think the label is fantastic The Eagle is awesome and the design in general .. it just looks good . Anyway , at the bottom of the labe it states .....

" Bourbon whiskey with NATURAL FLAVORS " ................... So , Im wondering if the " natural flavors " thing is the thing Im picking up on that I really like ???

The color of the whiskey is wonderful . Its in clear glass and isnt very pale . The color is right . I love that its in a glass bottle ... I cant stand plastic bottles of whiskey , in general . Benchmark , which I find to taste watered down , comes in plastic and when I first started getting simon bourbon , thats what I was getting him because he liked it well enough and it was cheap ... its gone up a lot lately because some metro millennial hipster probably made it out to be more than it is in some video somewhere while stroking his friends beard ... but this stuff is in glass in both the regualr bottle and the big bottle , which I will be purchasing next time

In a nutshell , simon really really likes this stuff and so do I . The regualr bottle is 8.50 and the big bottle is 15 bucks . I mean , to get any cheaper youd have to buy blended neutral spirited stuff . I used to drink a blended whiskey when I was a kid basically . Philidelphia brand whiskey .... it was super smooth , nutty and I really liked it . This was early on before I started drinking Jim Beam when I was 18

So , Ten High " Americas Native Spirit " Sour Mash Whiskey .... Gets a Ruffinogold thumbs up :thumbs:

" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:51 am I have a friend that has a health condition and he is on a fixed income . He enjoys drinking whiskey and , given his condition , he can have all of it he wants . im fortunate enough to be the guy that gets it for him because he's pretty much unable to leave his room , sadly . So , thats the the back story to this friend that Ive known for 23 years ... that said , he's not a bougie dude and is always eye balling a good drink for a good price thats inexpensive . Im jumping on that band wagon as well being I have to start saving to build a new " barn " .....................

........ which brings me to Ten High Whiskey . Its made by Barton , so I figure I like Barton and would give it a go . I get Simon and myself one to try with no high expectations . I pop the GLASS bottle and give it a whiff .... Hmmmm , theres something going on in the aroma that is exceptional ..... I pour some in a glass and drink ..... ok , theres a flavor there that is really fantastic and it kinda surrounds the " whiskey flavor " , if that makes sense .

The flavors arent very pronounced ... they are a little " thin " .... but theres something there that is really really good and I cant get my head around it , not that it matters if I do or dont .

So I get to looking at the label for the hell of it . By the way , I think the label is fantastic The Eagle is awesome and the design in general .. it just looks good . Anyway , at the bottom of the labe it states .....

" Bourbon whiskey with NATURAL FLAVORS " ................... So , Im wondering if the " natural flavors " thing is the thing Im picking up on that I really like ???

The color of the whiskey is wonderful . Its in clear glass and isnt very pale . The color is right . I love that its in a glass bottle ... I cant stand plastic bottles of whiskey , in general . Benchmark , which I find to taste watered down , comes in plastic and when I first started getting simon bourbon , thats what I was getting him because he liked it well enough and it was cheap ... its gone up a lot lately because some metro millennial hipster probably made it out to be more than it is in some video somewhere while stroking his friends beard ... but this stuff is in glass in both the regualr bottle and the big bottle , which I will be purchasing next time

In a nutshell , simon really really likes this stuff and so do I . The regualr bottle is 8.50 and the big bottle is 15 bucks . I mean , to get any cheaper youd have to buy blended neutral spirited stuff . I used to drink a blended whiskey when I was a kid basically . Philidelphia brand whiskey .... it was super smooth , nutty and I really liked it . This was early on before I started drinking Jim Beam when I was 18

So , Ten High " Americas Native Spirit " Sour Mash Whiskey .... Gets a Ruffinogold thumbs up :thumbs:

Ten high was always used for manhattan's when I was growing up, so I have always viewed it as a good mixing whiskey. The re-designed label art is definitely a lot cooler than it used to be
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Oh , Ancient Age 10 Star Whiskey is the drop dead best bourbon in its price class and probably double .... imho . I keep trying stuff for fun and theres a number I can live with as go tos but this one is the one . Its excellent
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:16 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:51 am I have a friend that has a health condition and he is on a fixed income . He enjoys drinking whiskey and , given his condition , he can have all of it he wants . im fortunate enough to be the guy that gets it for him because he's pretty much unable to leave his room , sadly . So , thats the the back story to this friend that Ive known for 23 years ... that said , he's not a bougie dude and is always eye balling a good drink for a good price thats inexpensive . Im jumping on that band wagon as well being I have to start saving to build a new " barn " .....................

Ten high was always used for manhattan's when I was growing up, so I have always viewed it as a good mixing whiskey. The re-designed label art is definitely a lot cooler than it used to be
I think they add Vanilla or caramel [ or both ? ] .... theres something there and I really like it . Its just a bit thin . A touch of water actually made it even better , surprisingly .