Let us talk Scotch

CoreyR
Founding Member

I cannot help but notice that there is not a topic devoted to good Scotch. Seems, to me, high time we had one. So I shall kick it off.
I prefer Ardbegs. Frankly, I have trouble keeping up with the different ones but I love the peatiness.
I also am a fan of The Glenlivet, for a highland Scotch. Their 12 year is pretty good.
Personally, I rarely drink blended scotch straight. I have some JW red label, which I mainly use, with Drambuie, to make my preferred "Scotch (mixed) drink," a "rusty nail." Drambuie being a Scotch based drink, in itself, made with honey, herbs and spices. 1 part Drambuie, 2 parts decent Scotch and a chunk of ice = a rusty nail. Simple and elegant.

Anyway, these are my thoughts on Scotch. Anyone else? Things to try? Things to stay away from?
arturo7
Member in Good Standing

There is always a bottle of Macallan 12 in my cupboard.
ever forward
JBRiner

I dipped my toes into scotch today. I have a bottle of Monkey Shoulder that I am in love with. I still prefer Bourbon, but the world of scotch is really big and interesting. I’ll be expanding my whiskey cabinet that’s for sure.
Adwyth
Whistlebritches

I really hate peaty scotch.A little smoke is ok but it can be overdone as well.My go to's are MaCallan Sherry Oak,Balvenie Doublewood and the Glenmorangie line.No Laphroag or Lagavulin in my cabinet and never will be.As for blended scotch my favorite is JW Blue........but way too pricey.I have about half of a gifted bottle left,probably my last.Monkey Shoulder,JW Black and Chivas are drinkable.......but only in a tight.I much prefer bourbon to all but MaCallan 25....again had it twice in my life,just too pricey to drink with any regularity.
9 Iron
Founding Member

I absolutely love Lagavulin 16, it seems to carry the smoke in a much more refined and interesting way than any other I’ve tried. There’s a reason they call it The Islay Queen, it’s truly splendid.

For a sherried scotch I think Aberlour A’Bunadh is amazing, but pricey (cask strength, complex and a flavor bomb, but pricey). At about half the cost the standard bottling Aberlour 12 is very, very good and is probably the best sherried standard bottling I’ve had.

However, if you gave me $60 to spend on any single bottle I’d pick Bunnahabhain 12 year every time. It strikes a rare balance between natural sweetness, subdued smokiness with a sherried undertone. It is the perfect single malt, IMHO.

But those are all expensive bottles. Even the Aberlour 12 is now approaching $40. For budget bottles I like Shieldaig blended (no age statement) which I find much more refined than the standard grocery store offerings (Jonny Walker and the like), and if you’re ever in a Trader Joes they carry Finlaggin, which is quite similar (though nowhere near as refined) to Lagavulin. Rumor is that it is young Lagavulin, wouldn’t surprise me.

Occasionally I can find Old Pultney 12 on sale at around $28, definitely a great briney dram at that price.

I do like Ardbeg and Laphroig, they are unique and very fun to enjoy in small doses, though I haven’t had any in some time. When I decide to drop $40 on a bottle of scotch I’m usually drawn to other things.
CoreyR
Founding Member

...I'm scribbling notes here!!!
CoreyR
Founding Member

JBRiner wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:38 pm I’ll be expanding my whiskey cabinet that’s for sure.
The Whiskey cabinet is like the tobacco cellar. There is always room for expansion!
JBRiner

Absolutely CoreyR! Funny enough, my wife does not care about me buying bottles of booze. But she pitches a fit if she finds out I bought a new tin of pipe tobacco. She says the booze don’t stink lol.
Adwyth
CoreyR
Founding Member

I have a great wife and do not have that problem. I buy what I want to buy. Guns, ammo, tobacco, pipes, booze....
Of course, then I feel guilty anyway.... :shock:
CoreyR
Founding Member

Ok, reviving this thread. I recently got my paws on some Rattrays Exotic Orange and I found it to be, in a good Meer, a great companion to good scotch in the evening. I have been enjoying it while sipping on a "rusty nail," made from one part Drambuie, two parts JW Red and a chunk of ice in a whiskey tumbler.
Very nice.
Once in a while I make a "smokey nail" by using Ardbeg but I generally consider this a waste of good Ardbeg!