Popcorn

Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Not enough snack threads here for a bunch of old dudes like us. So Gents (and both of you ladies) I'm a full fledged popcorn addict. It's a snack / food / guilty pleasure that I can eat every night and not get tired of.

Used to get microwave popcorn from Costco and the like but for probably a year now have been doing it old school on the stove top. Any of you the same? Favorite oil / popping medium? Any brands of popping corn that are worth the premium price?

My favorite (very) occasional popping oil / medium is half ghee (clarified butter) and half bacon grease. Makes an amazing bowl of late night pleasure. Lately I've been using just olive oil and it's fantastic. Little bit of fresh ground sea salt and Morton Season-All really checks all the boxes for salty, savory goodness.

So what say you? Any of you put in the labor for the good stuff or are you content with the bags from the nuclear oven?
***Air popped plain guys, I'm sorry your parents mistreated you. Treat yourself and do it right.
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Tsal
Forum Decorum

I buy plain microwave popcorn but I melt real butter. Orville is my go to brand.
The Troll Whisperer
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Tsal wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:19 pm I buy plain microwave popcorn but I melt real butter. Orville is my go to brand.
One thing I learned is that clarified butter doesn't make your popcorn soggy like melted whole butter. Something about removing the solids removes the water and other assorted witchcraft
GatorGirl

Top it with Old Bay for a real treat
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

GatorGirl wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:31 pm Top it with Old Bay for a real treat
Yup that's another great combo
ric03

I tend to just snack on a big bag of Monster Munch if I'm having a beer 👾
Ronv69
Founding Member

I prefer the Homestyle Popcorn.
God and Texas!
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:45 pm
Tsal wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:19 pm I buy plain microwave popcorn but I melt real butter. Orville is my go to brand.
One thing I learned is that clarified butter doesn't make your popcorn soggy like melted whole butter. Something about removing the solids removes the water and other assorted witchcraft
Popcorn never lasts long enough to go soggy when I make it. I eat it by the handful not one kernel at a time. I will try your method next time I make it and report back with my findings.
The Troll Whisperer
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Love popcorn. Been making it in the microwave for years. But recently decided to do the kernels. You can actually just make them in a pot, no popcorn maker needed. And then we use the Kernel Season’s Movie Theater seasoning.

I love the Movie Theater tasting butter/salt. I even buy the stuff ready to go in the bag.

I think i’ll upgrade to a popcorn maker at some point. The pot method is sort of hit/miss.

There is some really good popcorn that is made with coconut oil, delicious!

I will eat kettle corn but I prefer the classic butter and salt.
Sheridan

Stopped eating popcorn when I discovered pork scratchings.
Having said that though, I will buy some salted popcorn if I’m at the pictures.