Peterson 2023 Christmas Pipe

Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Undecided on this one.
Here’s the write up from Peterson:

Our Christmas pipe for 2023 harkens back to the charms of the late 19th and early 20th centuries and the dawn of the very first sandblasted finishes. Showcasing a timeless, deep-ruby stain evocative of pipes from our earliest catalogues and accented by detailed bands of sterling silver, it captures the spirit of holidays long ago, when gas lamps illuminated the streets for horse-drawn carriages and pipe smoke wreathed every Christmas tree.

HSigurdsson

I like it.
It does have the more shallow blasting like the old days.
Some crafters these days just blast too deep. Its like a contest.
Its been so long but there was a guy who was famous for his extremely deep blasting.....Jim something maybe??
At a point his pipes sold for over $1000 and were next to impossible to obtain.
Ive heard of several burn outs due to deep blasting in some of his pipes. The wood gets very thin in spots.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

They chose a couple of good looking blasts for the photo shoot
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Id snag the billiard or the Prince
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
BlueRidge
Member in Good Standing

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:33 pm They chose a couple of good looking blasts for the photo shoot
you know you'd smoke the 15 billiard, look at that weight!
rekamepip
Codger in Training

Nice but I doubt they would stack up against the 1923 Peterson that @MikeDennison has
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

BlueRidge wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:45 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:33 pm They chose a couple of good looking blasts for the photo shoot
you know you'd smoke the 15 billiard, look at that weight!
It's not a bad looking pipe, but it doesn't check the boxes for my personal taste. I like billiards with a little forward kick on the bowl and really slender proportions, their 15 doesn’t have either. But it's a nice traditional billy
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

rekamepip wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:48 pm Nice but I doubt they would stack up against the 1923 Peterson that @MikeDennison has
I think you're probably right, sir. These Petes are pretty, but I think I'll save my money.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
simplepipes
Codger in Training

HSigurdsson wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:40 pm I like it.
It does have the more shallow blasting like the old days.
Some crafters these days just blast too deep. Its like a contest.
Its been so long but there was a guy who was famous for his extremely deep blasting.....Jim something maybe??
At a point his pipes sold for over $1000 and were next to impossible to obtain.
Ive heard of several burn outs due to deep blasting in some of his pipes. The wood gets very thin in spots.
JT Cooke . . . I had several of his pipes over the years. He hand cast his own acrylic rod stock (stems were chunky) . . . pipes were / are extremely well made if not a little restrictive on the draw (similar to Barlings of old which Jim admired). I did have two that leaked from the stems where the blast was deeeeeeeeep.

I lost my last three LB shaped Cookes along with three Dunhill LB's many years past (Minneapolis Airport) which were my travel companions during my tenure in the corporate world. Jim can cut an LB . . .

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

No P-Lip option?
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.