Potato Chips

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

ric03 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:06 pm
I tend to largely avoid all news media like the plague, unless I'm eating toast in which case I skim through the news channels to snatch a glimpse of what is happening.

I get all my news on paper, hard copy, physically delivered. What is the topic of this thread? Hold on...

Back to potato chips, as you say over there, do they still sell chips in funnels of newspaper?

I think that would be fun. I could see myself wandering the medieval lanes of Titchfield eating French fries out of a newspaper cone. I cannot think of anything more English, except for Indian food.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
ric03

Citizen B wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:27 pm
ric03 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:06 pm
I tend to largely avoid all news media like the plague, unless I'm eating toast in which case I skim through the news channels to snatch a glimpse of what is happening.

I get all my news on paper, hard copy, physically delivered. What is the topic of this thread? Hold on...

Back to potato chips, as you say over there, do they still sell chips in funnels of newspaper?

I think that would be fun. I could see myself wandering the medieval lanes of Titchfield eating French fries out of a newspaper cone. I cannot think of anything more English, except for Indian food.
I don't know lol I always buy fish with mine! They do sometimes wrap them up in newspaper still, though it's quite rare. More often they come in a plastic tray, or increasingly careboard boxes, wrapped in plain white paper.

Chip shops don't sell french fries, they sell chips, which are much thicker. Fries, here, are what you get at McDonald's (and Indian takeaways, who, confusingly, often call them chips).
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

ric03 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:53 pm
Chip shops don't sell french fries, they sell chips, which are much thicker.
Those are just good French fries, like English people eat. We call them steak fries. I much prefer them.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
ric03

Citizen B wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:00 pm
ric03 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:53 pm
Chip shops don't sell french fries, they sell chips, which are much thicker.
Those are just good French fries, like English people eat. We call them steak fries. I much prefer them.
We have steak chips, too, but they're thicker than normal ones. We also have crinkle cut chips, which are nice as they're a little crispier than regular ones.
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

I wonder how much longer till newspapers are a thing of the past
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

Plinsc wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:33 am I wonder how much longer till newspapers are a thing of the past
@Citizen B keeps them all in business.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

My chickens love Utz Rippled Fried Dill Pickle potato chips. I'll nibble at them after I toss a handful to the chickens. I don't know what it is about these chips that make my chickens go into a feeding frenzy. They go totally ga-ga.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ronv69
Founding Member

Plinsc wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:33 am I wonder how much longer till newspapers are a thing of the past
The Washington Post loses a hundred million dollars a year, but they are kept afloat by the DNC.
God and Texas!
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Ronv69 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:11 pm
The Washington Post loses a hundred million dollars a year, but they are kept afloat by the DNC.
It is kept afloat by subscribers who pay to read its articles. That is why it caters to a certain demographic. It also has access to Jeff Bezos' deep pockets, though I don't know interested or involved he is in daily operations. When newspapers were supported by advertisers, they had to appeal to the widest possible audience. With the new clickbait business model, it all about preaching to the converted versus providing information for people to make their own opinions.

The advertisers have changed, too. Your local supermarket is not advertising a sale on Christmas turkey in the online edition of the Washington Post.

The reason I read the Wall Street Journal is because the people who read it read it because they have money on the line, not some sense of ideological self worth.

The reason I read the paper edition of the newspaper rather than get my news online is that, this way, I cannot get spun up about anything. What I am learning about happened yesterday. The world is no different today. The news is something to know and to pay attention to, but, the news is nothing to freak out about.

What is more pleasant than reading the editorial page and pondering the world's problems while smoking a pipe?
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Ronv69
Founding Member

Citizen B wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:37 pm
Ronv69 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:11 pm
It is kept afloat by subscribers who pay to read its articles. That is why it caters to a certain demographic. It also has access to Jeff Bezos' deep pockets, though I don't know interested or involved he is in daily operations. When newspapers were supported by advertisers, they had to appeal to the widest possible audience. With the new clickbait business model, it all about preaching to the converted versus providing information for people to make their own opinions.

The advertisers have changed, too. Your local supermarket is not advertising a sale on Christmas turkey in the online edition of the Washington Post.

The reason I read the Wall Street Journal is because the people who read it read it because they have money on the line, not some sense of ideological self worth.

The reason I read the paper edition of the newspaper rather than get my news online is that, this way, I cannot get spun up about anything. What I am learning about happened yesterday. The world is no different today. The news is something to know and to pay attention to, but, the news is nothing to freak out about.

What is more pleasant than reading the editorial page and pondering the world's problems while smoking a pipe?
No, they are not kept afloat by subscribers and advertisers. They are LOSING 100 MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR. 😁
Maybe all-caps are easier read?
God and Texas!