How old were you?

Wildcrow
Founding Member

To all of you who grew up like i did, you likely had a bb gun in your hand. I think i was given sort of unsupervised, restricted bb gun use at 8. Man, my imagination took me places.

My son was just given a similar privilege at 8 as well. How old were you?
ric03

I had a real crappy old air pistol around 13, a schoolfriend swapped me it for something can't remember what now. I didn't do much with it other than fire darts at the dart board and pellets at tin cans. It was fun though. That's the only one I ever owned.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I was seven or so...in Cub Scouts...when my dad bought me a BB gun. He was the Den Leader and was teaching us little fellers how to handle a gun, how to shoot, etc. Seems strange in this day and age, but then it was pretty common. I remember we had these big shooting competitions with other dens and troops...Cubs & Webelos together. But unrestricted access? I didn't have that until much later when we lived in the woods...and by then it was a rifle I was carrying, and not a bb gun.

@ric03, I had one of those pistol-type air guns, too, as a teenager. My buddies and I would have BB gun fights in the basement of our home when my parents weren't around. Dangerous. But teens can be stupid. We certainly were! Thank God no one had an eye put out, though we did get some welts.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
ric03

@MikeDennison I had mine around the time Rambo was a major thing for boys my age lol! There's some wild woods nearby, that are off limits (you have to scale a 6-foot wall to get in them) and we used to go in there, with these peashooter guns, skulking through the undergrowth in case someone caught us, and feel like we were in Vietnam!

I think that's why I like pipe smoking so much, it allows you to feel that same relaxed without a care in the world magic you felt growing up.
Iain

I was 18 and working so I bought an air pistol with my own money for shooting paper targets in the garden, still have it but haven't had it out in years
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

Around 8 for the daisy, 10 for the cross man 10 pump
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
Kevin Keith
Grand Poobah

I was 14. I had been working at a friend’s hauling hay and had saved enough for a Pietta 1860 Army. That was lots of fun to shoot. That was when black powder and caps were plentiful.

FJB
Vote Trump 2024!
Dr Uhaha
Member in Very Good Standing

7: Marksman Repeater Air Pistol
8: Daisy Red Ryder
10: Ithaca Single .410 & H&R Single 12 Ga.
11: Marlin Model 60 .22
14: Marlin 30-30
17: M16A2
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I think I was around 10. Got a crossman pump air rifle and a target box
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Dr Uhaha wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:37 am 7: Marksman Repeater Air Pistol
8: Daisy Red Ryder
10: Ithaca Single .410 & H&R Single 12 Ga.
11: Marlin Model 60 .22
14: Marlin 30-30
17: M16A2
Welcome back? Good to see you post
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin