I have a question

Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

This is actually about an old member but I figure more people will read this if I post it here, and, well, it is membership-related. Maybe new members will be cheered to know that if they stick around long enough they will not be forgotten and they will always be welcome back, except for Pipebot 3000. That guy. :?

Anyhow, the unexpected appearance of @Dr Uhaha today got me to thinking about someone else we haven't seen in awhile and I can't remember his name.

I like Dr. Uhaha, especially after he grew up and got his sheepskin and stopped being a frat bro. He was okay as a bro but he excels at being a doctor.

His appearance got me reminiscing about PSF days gone. Those days were years ago, tinged with the golden hue of nostalgia and warm feelings of camaraderie. After a while, though, I realized I was getting the Doctor confused with someone else. That is what I am posting about. I know my question has been a long build-up thus far. Stick with me. Paydirt is up ahead.

I was getting Dr. Uhaha and this other guy confused in my head the same way that I always confuse Piping Abe and somebody else...who is it? It's not Mike Dennison. It is somebody else. It's the guy I sent the knife blank to. He knows who he is. I don't need to cite him. Those two read and comment on everything. That is why I get them confused. Plus, they are both stand up gentlemen. I am sure they are different in person but I always like to see them here.

So, the guy I am wondering about is from Uhaha's time, I think before the pandemic. This guy was nuts in a good way. He was all about time travel and other crazy stuff, totally over the top. He made me look on topic. I think his name was Johnny Danger or something like that. Does anyone remember who I am talking about?
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Are you thinking of @Johnny Dingo?
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:52 pm Are you thinking of @Johnny Dingo?
Bingo!
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

You are the other one. I get you confused with Piping Abe all the time. And, now that I say it, I realize that Piping Abe got the knife because you told me to send it to him. You two are yin and yang in my mind.

Anyhow, to derail my own thread now that this mystery has been solved, I was reading an article in the Wall Street Journal a few weeks ago and I have been bothering people about it ever since. It seems that, based on archeological evidence, the human brain has consistently shrunk over the past three thousand years. Compared to our three thousand-year-old ancestors, our brains have less volume. We have lost the cubic centimeter equivalent of a lime.

What happened 3000 years ago? Civilization. People living together reached critical mass so that we now have collective intelligence as well as individual intelligence. We can rely on other people to remember things while we remember things that they do not.

I find this notion interesting, as I would since I always farm out questions to the rest of you because I am too lazy to do the legwork to find the answer, and, after all is said and done, what is the art of conversation but asking and learning?

We probably shouldn't be cluttering up the new member thread more than we have to.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Citizen B wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:08 pm
You are the other one. I get you confused with Piping Abe all the time. And, now that I say it, I realize that Piping Abe got the knife because you told me to send it to him. You two are yin and yang in my mind.

Anyhow, to derail my own thread now that this mystery has been solved, I was reading an article in the Wall Street Journal a few weeks ago and I have been bothering people about it ever since. It seems that, based on archeological evidence, the human brain has consistently shrunk over the past three thousand years. Compared to our three thousand-year-old ancestors, our brains have less volume. We have lost the cubic centimeter equivalent of a lime.

What happened 3000 years ago? Civilization. People living together reached critical mass so that we now have collective intelligence as well as individual intelligence. We can rely on other people to remember things while we remember things that they do not.

I find this notion interesting, as I would since I always farm out questions to the rest of you because I am too lazy to do the legwork to find the answer, and, after all is said and done, what is the art of conversation but asking and learning?

We probably shouldn't be cluttering up the new member thread more than we have to.
Abe and myself would definitely be yin & yang. He's quite polite and I'm... Not.

As for the human brain shrinking over the centuries, I can definitely buy into that theory. We have gotten lazier as a species and no longer have to remember as much because we have the technology to investigate within arms reach at all times. And I'm not excluding myself from that point of the finger, I'm as guilty as anyone.
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

My brain is still big.
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Plinsc wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:25 pm My brain is still big.
You're on a roll today, I like it! :lol:
The Troll Whisperer
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Mr Beardsley wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:17 pm
Citizen B wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:08 pm

Abe and myself would definitely be yin & yang. He's quite polite and I'm... Not.

As for the human brain shrinking over the centuries, I can definitely buy into that theory. We have gotten lazier as a species and no longer have to remember as much because we have the technology to investigate within arms reach at all times. And I'm not excluding myself from that point of the finger, I'm as guilty as anyone.
A mod can move this if they want to since we are getting 'Off Topic.'

Ancient Greek philosophers complained about writing because people didn't have to remember everything, they could just refer to the text.

As hunter gatherers, everyone had to do everyone else's job because there were few people. That, and anyone could die at a moment's notice. Everyone had to know everything and then some. Once critical mass was achieved, for better or for worse (I think for better), people could specialize, there were enough replacement parts in the machine, if you will. There was a store of knowledge, and it was recorded, easily accessible.

Printing made the store and the accessibility more so. The internet, sheesh! In my lifetime, I have seen my attention span shrink. I do not look things up on my phone when I wonder about something. Instead I plumb my memory. If I don't have an answer, I asked the person sitting next to me. If they want to look it up on their phone, I lose interest.

I google things but I went to the library today because I have some research to do. I really am a codger. I prefer analog over digital, real over virtual.

I am sure everyone having a computer in their pocket is going to shrink our minds more. I do not know if this is a good thing or not. It will make us more productive collectively, but it will not make us smarter, per se, individually. Time will tell. @Johnny Dingo would know. He came here from the future.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

I was on original PSF for a short time. I distinctly remember a few names. But my 1 and 2 were @Ruffinogold and @Kevin Keith I remember the Mayor because he was The Mayor and he had that gold head picture. And Kevin because of the Pipe in a Dishwasher thread and he had that caricature picture of him with a pipe. Obviously it made an impact on me because I found my way back.

And even if you all ceased to exist I would still be here, like that lonely guy on the Grabow forums posting everyday.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Piping Abe wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:57 pm I was on original PSF for a short time. I distinctly remember a few names. But my 1 and 2 were @Ruffinogold and @Kevin Keith I remember the Mayor because he was The Mayor and he had that gold head picture. And Kevin because of the Pipe in a Dishwasher thread and he had that caricature picture of him with a pipe. Obviously it made an impact on me because I found my way back.

And even if you all ceased to exist I would still be here, like that lonely guy on the Grabow forums posting everyday.
Henry Bemis