Best packing advice so far

rlucas
Member in Good Standing

I was at my local B&M last week and mentioned I was having trouble with my packing technique. I had also said I was going back to pipe smoking cause cigars were too expensive. So this wise man tells me, "You know what a good draw on a cigar is like, right? Pack it like that." I hadn't thought of that before.
"That's mighty bold talk for a one eyed fat man!" -Lucky Ned Pepper.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Yes . Dry hitting a pipe is an indication of what will happen more than likely
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I'm not a small man so I find that rolling my clothes helps me to pack a more compact bag for travel
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
ncrobb
Founding Member

Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:20 pm I'm not a small man so I find that rolling my clothes helps me to pack a more compact bag for travel
For leisure travel, rolling is great. When I’m working, I like my shirts and pants a little more tidy and I’ve found neatly folded items will “fall out” quicker and are easier to touch up iron. I will say that all items are rolled when I pack up and head home.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Plinsc
Member in Good Standing

Roll pants and shirts, silk underwear and socks get rinsed in the sink at night so you only need the one pair.
*PRO TIP: if you’re going on a trip with the wife sneak 1/3 of your clothes into her bag, makes yours lighter to carry.
Just a hill William with a BS in Appalachian Engineering
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:51 pm Yes . Dry hitting a pipe is an indication of what will happen more than likely
What do you mean, "dry hitting?"
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

i will roll up socks and tee shirts. I don't usually wear socks. For shirts, pants, and jackets, though, I fold them like I learned in the Navy--that method is designed to eliminate ironing as much as possible, plus, an entire compliment of uniforms for all seasons has to be able to fit in a sea bag. I hate to travel but I love to pack.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

ncrobb wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:00 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 4:20 pm I'm not a small man so I find that rolling my clothes helps me to pack a more compact bag for travel
For leisure travel, rolling is great. When I’m working, I like my shirts and pants a little more tidy and I’ve found neatly folded items will “fall out” quicker and are easier to touch up iron. I will say that all items are rolled when I pack up and head home.
My casual shorts and t-shirts are somewhat nicer than my work shorts and t-shirts though some pieces co-mingle occasionally. No need for multiple methods in this camp
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Citizen B wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:31 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:51 pm Yes . Dry hitting a pipe is an indication of what will happen more than likely
I mean .. filling the pipe and before you light it .... take drags off it and its a good indication of what the draw/smoke will be . Theres other pluses to doing it , like tasting the blend prior to the light up . Theres a lot a dry hit can teach a new guy without having to learn anything , I think
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Ruffinogold wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:14 pm
Citizen B wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:31 pm
I mean .. filling the pipe and before you light it .... take drags off it and its a good indication of what the draw/smoke will be . Theres other pluses to doing it , like tasting the blend prior to the light up . Theres a lot a dry hit can teach a new guy without having to learn anything , I think
You are correct, as usual.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.