Pipe rotation

rlucas
Member in Good Standing

Is it neccesary(sp?) to have a pipe rotation? I seem to remember my Dad smoking the same pipe everyday. He only smoked half and half so not sure if that makes a difference. Anyway, was just curious.
"That's mighty bold talk for a one eyed fat man!" -Lucky Ned Pepper.
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

Strictly speaking, probably not. I often smoke the same pipe all day, and sometimes days on end. If it's workin' for me and it tastes good, I'll keep right on.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

rlucas wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:59 pm Is it neccesary(sp?) to have a pipe rotation? I seem to remember my Dad smoking the same pipe everyday. He only smoked half and half so not sure if that makes a difference. Anyway, was just curious.
Nope. Grab a pipe and tobacco and work it like a rented mule if that works for you
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Richard Hanson

rlucas wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:59 pm Is it neccesary(sp?) to have a pipe rotation? I seem to remember my Dad smoking the same pipe everyday. He only smoked half and half so not sure if that makes a difference. Anyway, was just curious.
Hi rlucas,

I have a five pipe rotation. Each pipe gets a good rest, but likely this was just a rationalization for spending on more pipes. Let's not discuss that with Mrs. Hanson. Down the road, I think I will have a tobacco rotation with a specific pipe dedicated to each blend. How about that as an excuse to acquire more pipes? If you want to get more pipes, then obviously a rotation is critically essential.

Best Regards,
Richard
Living the lesepfeife life.
Jlando19

I started with one pipe, then it was seven and now I have probably closer to thirty. I just grab which every one looks cool to me on any given day and smoke it. I’m not big on one pipe for one tobacco and don’t notice ghosting much.

I think it’s coming up on four years for me in this lifestyle and I’m just now developing a cadence while smoking a pipe that allows me to differentiate a bit on flavors between various tobacco.

Take your time enjoy the ride. That’s my two cents.
"Good enough" is a false idol. Beware those that preach its virtue.
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I will smoke the same pipe over and over, back-to-back, without a moment's rest between bowls. The next day, I will do it again with the same pipe. I never noticed a difference but maybe it is because I do it all the time and I am used to it.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Iain

I try not to smoke the same pipe too often but I have a tendency to drool when smoking so I sometimes have wet mess at the bottom of the bowl. Giving them a day or 2 to dry out seems to help.
Tsal
Forum Decorum

There is one man that I know of that can give some information about pipe rotation. @Fr_Tom to the white courtesy telephone please @Fr_Tom to the white courtesy telephone.
The Troll Whisperer
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

It may depend on you , really . I mean some blends , after however number of bowls , can get a pipe funky and thats probably a good time to move on to another pipe and let that one rest before cleaning it and going to town on it again . I have a group of pipes I use for work and I either smoke one all day or maybe ill smoke two through out the day . I leave them around till they all pretty much need a clean out . At that point Ill put together another work pipe group to sart on and when theyre done , Ill have cleaned the others and theyll be ready . Mostly , a pipe can take a lot of smoking before it really needs a good deep cleaning

Other than little groups of work pipes , I have way too many pipes to rotate . Most of my smoking is at work with a small amount of pipes and the smoking I do at home has a very large choice of pipes , so I have no rotation for those . Half of my smoking at home is on the property , in which case I generally grab a cob

For those that enjoy structure , I think a rotation is probably a thing to do that is enjoyable . My life is like a cosmic accident so I wouldnt know but I can see the appeal

Im glad you posted this because it made me aware that I need to put together another group of work pipes . The current group needs a cleaning and rest :thumbs:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
Richard Hanson

Ruffinogold wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:33 am ... after however number of bowls , can get a pipe funky and thats probably a good time to move on to another pipe and let that one rest before cleaning it ...
Hi Ruffinogold,

I have been cleaning my pipes after every smoke, with more care at the end of the day, and then setting that pipe aside. Do you just rest your pipes dirty and then clean them before using them again?

Warmest Regards,
Richard
Living the lesepfeife life.