Selling off pipes .... hmmm ?

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

It hits every decade or so , as things change . Im currently in my 4th collection and I'm thinking of starting a new one . Ill retain the sentimental pipes and start anew .... maybe . I just " let go " of a lot the other day and it got me thinking . Hmmmm ... I could let go of most of my collection and purchase Savinellis and Mastro de Pajas ... that could be fun ! I may just do that
You guys ever do it to where you think .. Ill sell a ton off and go a different direction ? I'm thinking I might . Hell , I'm getting older and Id like to tailor fit a collection to where I'm at in my pipe smoking mode
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
ncrobb
Founding Member

I counted the other day and there are 66 pipes (that I could find) around the house and shop. Most them are estates and most of those I refurbed and never smoked. Yes, I’m thinking to move out a bunch and buy maybe buy a couple based on what I know I like.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

I bought low on the dip and I am waiting to sell high. It still isn't worth it for me to sell since I no longer have PAD. I am content with what I have and don't need to make room on the racks.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

I am currently doing so. I know what I like/ what brands and artisans I prefer so I am purchasing them. The hardest part for me is that I have a lot of cobs and all different styles. I don’t want to let any go and not have that shape anymore. Although I always reach for the same cobs. Cobs arent worth much but i’d trade someone if you want a variety of shapes that are harder to find more and more. Maybe. I dont know.

Still going through my briars as well. Its getting difficult and sentimentality builds up.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

These cobs were my first pipes. I had around 10 before I even pruchased a briar. I bought all the shapes there were before MM was reinventing themself and it was cool to smoke cobs.
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Piping Abe wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:58 pm I am currently doing so. I know what I like/ what brands and artisans I prefer so I am purchasing them. The hardest part for me is that I have a lot of cobs and all different styles. I don’t want to let any go and not have that shape anymore. Although I always reach for the same cobs. Cobs arent worth much but i’d trade someone if you want a variety of shapes that are harder to find more and more. Maybe. I dont know.

Still going through my briars as well. Its getting difficult and sentimentality builds up.
Hold any sentimental ones if you have any ... Like one your wife got you . Tastes change . Mine seem to change every 10 to 15 years . Currently , I wish I would have kept my past Italian collection because now Im preferring them to everything else . I had a really stellar collection of them but one day hated the stems/sizes etc .. .. lol . Anyway , hold the sentimental ones and blow the rest out is probably the way to go ... I think
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

ncrobb wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:36 pm I counted the other day and there are 66 pipes (that I could find) around the house and shop. Most them are estates and most of those I refurbed and never smoked. Yes, I’m thinking to move out a bunch and buy maybe buy a couple based on what I know I like.
Thats a sizable number and I can totally relate . I think my bougie cabinet holds 30 and i have my old 6 pipe wall rack in my bedroom that holds six ancient stellar Kaywooodies . Id have a hard time selling any of my Kaywoodies . I probably have 30 KBB products
Ruffinogold
The Mayor

Citizen B wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:50 pm I bought low on the dip and I am waiting to sell high. It still isn't worth it for me to sell since I no longer have PAD. I am content with what I have and don't need to make room on the racks.
I think now is the high time . Hell , look at ebay ... regular ole pipes , like a meh whitehall , is going for 25 etc ....
Citizen B
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:36 pm
Citizen B wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:50 pm I bought low on the dip and I am waiting to sell high. It still isn't worth it for me to sell since I no longer have PAD. I am content with what I have and don't need to make room on the racks.
I think now is the high time . Hell , look at ebay ... regular ole pipes , like a meh whitehall , is going for 25 etc ....
I don't look at Ebay. I am content with what I have. It is impossible to a price on that. An old pipe is an old friend. This is why I keep my arsenal small. Every pipe I have now is a keeper.
-- The Rhinestone Dandy.
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I've sold off the bulk of my collection and have very little to no desire to build back to the numbers I once had. Really nice feeling to be perfectly content with what I have and feel very little urge to add more unless it really trips my trigger. Theres 3 I'm currently debating to oust
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin