Selling off pipes .... hmmm ?

Ruffinogold
The Mayor

you guys are so boring , I swear :lol:
" I believe adventure is nothing but a romantic name for trouble " L.L.
ncrobb
Founding Member

I never intended on having as many as I do. As you guys know, I travel for work. When I’m done for the day or just driving and see an antique store, junk store, flea market etc I’m compelled to stop in. If I see a pipe that looks interesting I will throw a low ball offer at it. Unfortunately, it stuck more times that it should. Crap, I didn’t count the ones in the box under my work bench that still need to be refurbed. There’s probably 5-6 there. Ok - I’m not buying any more no matter what until I’ve sold some.
“I’d like to ride the rodeo, but I got Brahma Fear.” - Jimmy Buffett
ncrobb
Founding Member

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:49 pm I've sold off the bulk of my collection and have very little to no desire to build back to the numbers I once had. Really nice feeling to be perfectly content with what I have and feel very little urge to add more unless it really trips my trigger. Theres 3 I'm currently debating to oust
This is where I want to be. Maybe 15-20 solid performers that stay in the fold.
simplepipes
Codger in Training

I have somewhat re-invented over the last thee years with a handful of Tinsky pipes. I have also found the few modern era Kaywoodies I purchased to be excellent pipes.

I have a few I should move to be practical as well . . .

-sp
My vote has not been bought . . . I paid for my Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees . . .
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

ncrobb wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:09 pm
Mr Beardsley wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:49 pm I've sold off the bulk of my collection and have very little to no desire to build back to the numbers I once had. Really nice feeling to be perfectly content with what I have and feel very little urge to add more unless it really trips my trigger. Theres 3 I'm currently debating to oust
This is where I want to be. Maybe 15-20 solid performers that stay in the fold.
It's really nice. I know that I can toss any blend in any pipe and get a great smoke from it
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
ric03

Ruffinogold wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:21 pm
Piping Abe wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 3:58 pm I am currently doing so. I know what I like/ what brands and artisans I prefer so I am purchasing them. The hardest part for me is that I have a lot of cobs and all different styles. I don’t want to let any go and not have that shape anymore. Although I always reach for the same cobs. Cobs arent worth much but i’d trade someone if you want a variety of shapes that are harder to find more and more. Maybe. I dont know.

Still going through my briars as well. Its getting difficult and sentimentality builds up.
Hold any sentimental ones if you have any ... Like one your wife got you . Tastes change . Mine seem to change every 10 to 15 years . Currently , I wish I would have kept my past Italian collection because now Im preferring them to everything else . I had a really stellar collection of them but one day hated the stems/sizes etc .. .. lol . Anyway , hold the sentimental ones and blow the rest out is probably the way to go ... I think
Agree with that. 10 years ago I was all into big pipes, bent pipes, now I seem to like medium sized straight ones more. I guess with not smoking inside the house effects that though: I can no longer slouch in a recliner, for a few hours, with a some ale and a pipe. I need to get that TV in the garage up and running!
MikeDennison
Certified Codger

I've thought a lot about going through my pipes and winnowing them out. Don't have any fancy pipes, though. Don't think I'd get anything for'em. Thought about shipping a few off to SkinnyJeans for store credit. Dunno.
"I realized I had the gift of seeming to know more than I actually did." -A.J. Cronin-
ncrobb
Founding Member

@mikedennison “SkinnyJeans”? I think I should know this but it’s not coming to mind.
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

ncrobb wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:27 am @mikedennison “SkinnyJeans”? I think I should know this but it’s not coming to mind.
SmokingPipes
Middle Earth

I am sending some to SP and some to BlueRoom
I have way too many pipes
I may offer some up here first as I will be taking a hit and would rather get them to the members here dirt cheap.
Also have a hundred plus pounds of tobacco that needs to go. Boss man said I could give it away here just need to have postage covered in order to get a box. Postage reimbursement after delivery if anyone is interested. Also willing to meet someone in Missouri if they want it. It is a lot of tinned tobacco.
Cutting down to just want is needed.
Working on it now.