Selling off pipes .... hmmm ?

ric03

Ruffinogold wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:57 pm
Middle Earth wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:25 pm
Ruffinogold wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:07 pm

What brought about this thought ? Seems a bit abrupt ?
?????
Been in the works
Have mentioned it before
It moves about the speed of the package 📦 you should receive in the next 48 hours 🤔

My short term memory sucks . Long term is good though . With any luck Ill be able to go to work every day for the rest of my life and by the time I get home i wont be able to recall any of it .... it'll make work more tolerable and fresh
I'm the same, can remember stuff from decades ago, from childhood, like yesterday but can't remember what happened yesterday most days 😅👨‍🦯
ric03

Jeebs wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:53 pm I recently sold off another 1-2 yr collection, mostly commissioned Alden’s , a rubio, few Dunhills & Petes oh.. and 1 yeti This was 4-5th time to sell off thru the yrs My intention’s this time was to purchase mostly factory pipes such as Savinelli, Pete’s etc So far 1 Matakidis & Tendi , but I think the rest will be pipes that i mentioned above , it’s fun too commission pipes from Artisan’s but is it really worth it ? Their prices keep going up and their seems to be so many of them now days
And… Do they really smoke better.. ? Not really !!
Never owned a commissioned or artisan pipe, it's a relief to hear they don't smoke any better. It's something I've always thought I should do, but never got around to. Maybe one day, when I manage to clear all the normal PAD backlog.
Jeebs

ric03 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:15 pm
Jeebs wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:53 pm I recently sold off another 1-2 yr collection, mostly commissioned Alden’s , a rubio, few Dunhills & Petes oh.. and 1 yeti This was 4-5th time to sell off thru the yrs My intention’s this time was to purchase mostly factory pipes such as Savinelli, Pete’s etc So far 1 Matakidis & Tendi , but I think the rest will be pipes that i mentioned above , it’s fun too commission pipes from Artisan’s but is it really worth it ? Their prices keep going up and their seems to be so many of them now days
And… Do they really smoke better.. ? Not really !
Never owned a commissioned or artisan pipe, it's a relief to hear they don't smoke any better. It's something I've always thought I should do, but never got around to. Maybe one day, when I manage to clear all the normal PAD backlog.
They really do not ric03. I promise you are not missing anything, the only advantage that I see is you can kinda direct the shape, size & finish you you are wanting in a pipe
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

I've had far more trash smokers from a factory than I have from an artisan. That isn't to say that there isn't bad hand made pipes because there definitely is. But the odds are much lower. Just being able to dial in size, shape, finish, and stem is enough to make it an apples to oranges comparison in my opinion
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Jeebs

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:55 pm
Jeebs wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:53 pm I recently sold off another 1-2 yr collection, mostly commissioned Alden’s , a rubio, few Dunhills & Petes oh.. and 1 yeti This was 4-5th time to sell off thru the yrs My intention’s this time was to purchase mostly factory pipes such as Savinelli, Pete’s etc So far 1 Matakidis & Tendi , but I think the rest will be pipes that i mentioned above , it’s fun too commission pipes from Artisan’s but is it really worth it ? Their prices keep going up and their seems to be so many of them now days kid
I've had far more trash smokers from a factory than I have from an artisan. That isn't to say that there isn't bad hand made pipes because there definitely is. But the odds are much lower. Just being able to dial in size, shape, finish, and stem is enough to make it an apples to oranges comparison in my opinion
True, Mr Beardsley , that is a good point , I haven’t had many factory pipes through the years, so maybe I should have said it a different way, I was planning starting to purchase a few factory pipes , so maybe I will see what you are referring too, I have heard off issues with Pete’s in particular
Mr Beardsley
Founding Member

Jeebs wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:02 pm
Jeebs wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:53 pm I recently sold off another 1-2 yr collection, mostly commissioned Alden’s , a rubio, few Dunhills & Petes oh.. and 1 yeti This was 4-5th time to sell off thru the yrs My intention’s this time was to purchase mostly factory pipes such as Savinelli, Pete’s etc So far 1 Matakidis & Tendi , but I think the rest will be pipes that i mentioned above , it’s fun too commission pipes from Artisan’s but is it really worth it ? Their prices keep going up and their seems to be so many of them now days kid
True, Mr Beardsley , that is a good point , I haven’t had many factory pipes through the years, so maybe I should have said it a different way, I was planning starting to purchase a few factory pipes , so maybe I will see what you are referring too, I have heard off issues with Pete’s in particular
I suppose it also makes a difference in what people consider poor smoking qualities. Gurgles? Whistles? Orific stem vs slotted? One man's trash smoker could be another man's best.
“If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?” - George Carlin
Tsal
Forum Decorum

Middle Earth wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:54 am
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:07 am
Middle Earth wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 1:20 pm I am sending some to SP and some to BlueRoom
I have way too many pipes
I may offer some up here first as I will be taking a hit and would rather get them to the members here dirt cheap.
Also have a hundred plus pounds of tobacco that needs to go. Boss man said I could give it away here just need to have postage covered in order to get a box. Postage reimbursement after delivery if anyone is interested. Also willing to meet someone in Missouri if they want it. It is a lot of tinned tobacco.
Cutting down to just want is needed.
Working on it now.
You're holding onto any Il Duca right? Pretty sure those pipes aren't allowed on the secondary market, I never see any estates at least.
I have one which I would consider parting with.
It was sold to me as a "pot."
I don't care what you call it, it has an incredible draft in my opinion.

I'll buy that thing to help the cause.
The Troll Whisperer
Jeebs

Mr Beardsley wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:39 pm
Jeebs wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:02 pm

I suppose it also makes a difference in what people consider poor smoking qualities. Gurgles? Whistles? Orific stem vs slotted? One man's trash smoker could be another man's best.
Yes. I would consider all of those terrible smoking qualities
I just do not have enough experience with them to really say much , I guess that I was just figuring so on my previous post I do have a Pete and old Stanwell with no problems. Just purchased a Pete Christmas 2023 05. It’s is good so far
Piping Abe
Certified Codger

The most important part of a pipe is the stem for me. It is the part that goes in your mouth. If it is not comfortable, you won’t smoke it. All of my pipes that are uncomfortable in my mouth end up leaving. No matter how much I love them.

The Moretti Pick Ax I sent to @PoolShooter , who has dissapeared, was one I struggled with. It was so beautiful and smoked outstanding. It was just that gigantic Italian Acrylic I am not a fan of. I mean look at this beauty!

Middle Earth

Tsal wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:47 pm
Middle Earth wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:54 am
Thelonious monkfish wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:07 am

You're holding onto any Il Duca right? Pretty sure those pipes aren't allowed on the secondary market, I never see any estates at least.
I have one which I would consider parting with.
It was sold to me as a "pot."
I don't care what you call it, it has an incredible draft in my opinion.

I'll buy that thing to help the cause.
The cause is to have far less stuff, tobacco and pipes included.
I am getting closer to operation Clean Sweep going into the action phase.
Going though boxes that I never opened for years today just reinforced my resolve to get closer to sanity.
My first box of free, if you reimburse actual postage after receipt, is happening next week.
If anyone else is interested please shoot me a DM.
I will put some pipes up here before they go off to SP and Blue Room.